Windows Live Mail Won't Open Saved .eml Files in Windows 8

Anonymous
2013-07-17T06:07:00+00:00

Running on Windows 8 with Windows Live Mail.  If you save an email to a file it is saved with an .eml file extension.  These files can then be saved anywhere (i.e. your desktop).

Then when double clicking the file the mail client (Windows Live Mail) would open with the email in the Inbox.  Old Outlook clients worked the same way.  I've had this working AOK with Windows 7 for some time.

With the same scenario under Windows 8 the Windows Live Mail client opens but the email is no where to be found.

The file association is AOK:  .eml = Windows Live Mail  (from File "Set Associations" screen).

Even just saving the email to a file from the client (Windows Live Mail) and then immediately trying to select it again does not work (after deleting the original email from the client).

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-17T11:54:16+00:00

 Then when double clicking the file the mail client (Windows Live Mail) would open with the email in the Inbox.  Old Outlook clients worked the same way.  I've had this working AOK with Windows 7 for some time.

 

With the same scenario under Windows 8 the Windows Live Mail client opens but the email is no where to be found.

 

The file association is AOK:  .eml = Windows Live Mail  (from File "Set Associations" screen).

 

Even just saving the email to a file from the client (Windows Live Mail) and then immediately trying to select it again does not work (after deleting the original email from the client).

Double clicking the file will open the file.  It will not be in the Inbox.

Windows Live Mail will be partially running.  Access to Windows Live Mail will require starting Windows Live Mail with the shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-28T20:21:18+00:00

I've no idea of the significance of the hash key. I'm fairly sure you don't need it, and it will be entered automatically by the program that does need it when necessary. 

Right-click on the .eml key that's causing problems and select Permissions. Use the Advanced options to give your user account full control of the key. Then try changing the Progid again. If you're still barred, use the advanced options to take ownership of the key.

Ensure also that WindowsLiveMail.Email.1 is listed under OpenWithProgids (with zero-value binary data).

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T16:04:26+00:00

    Thanks so much for you efforts and thoughts Firedog, you help is greatly appreciated.

    I've previously been able to upload the Windows Live Mail log file, and if I can get a couple of sample of .EML saved files uploaded is there possibly anyone that might be up to taking a try at opening them to possible prove out Firedog's thoughts about this being a new environmental issue now that I'm running the same configuration but instead of Windows 7 now under Windows 8?

    Through all this effort that's the only thing that's changed as far as I can tell.

    I have 3 sample .EML saved files ready to go.

    Thanks all,

    Jess

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T12:29:30+00:00

    I do have iolo's System Mechanic and Norton 360 running, ... 

    I'd be willing to bet that one or other or both of those is causing your problems. You certainly don't need System Mechanic, and I wouldn't allow any Norton program anywhere near my machine. I don't really think I can help more until you've rid yourself of those invasive programs that, in my experience, cause more harm than good.

    Another potential source of conflict is Outlook, which likes to muscle its way in everywhere. You should check your program and file defaults after every update involving Outlook just to be sure that none of them have changed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T11:45:16+00:00

    Ok, my 1st part looks to be OK:

    But I'm not seeing the HKEY\SOFTWARE\Classes\WindowsLiveMail.Email.1 entry that both Firedog and Ron are seeing (unless I'm looking in the wrong place):

    I cannot do just a "Repair" of Windows Live Mail, the only option I'm offered in the control panel for "Uninstall or Change" for "Windows Essentials 2012" (which I'm only using for Windows Live mail) is a complete uninstall.  I do have iolo's System Mechanic and Norton 360 running, but with no problems with either historically.

    The program association is set as follows in control panel:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments