Can't Microsoft admit it's failure and allow all of us downgrade to win 7? I got this win 8 used so no matter what I'm stuck with Vista 2.0 ;)
how to make windows 8 look and act like windows 7
Recently bought a new laptop, from HP and I am so confussed with the new windows 8, I can't even use the darn thing, reminds me of the time I was stuck with an Apple Machine. Is there a way to change the screen and start up to look and behave like Windows 7?
Other wise, I'm giving this piece of junk a good toss out the window. And I don't mean Windows 8.
Thank you for any help you all can be, I just wanted a new computer not an operating system like this..
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2015-06-20T20:09:50+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-02-02T04:43:45+00:00 I can offer a better solution.
Take the machine out of the trash and install Linux and say goodbye to all the BS that MS has to offer.
I bet after a week you'll never use Windows again.
-
Anonymous
2015-01-18T16:00:37+00:00 No one wants a learning curve period. What we do want is a desktop environment that isn't confusing as heck where you have to search for everything to find it. We would rather not have an OS that is so greatly different forced upon us. To be honest you need a separate windows for phone and desktops.. This **** is completely ridiculous and windows 8/8.1 is an utter and total failure. There is a reason people buy android or apple phones instead of windows phones.... Just saying.
-
Anonymous
2014-07-19T15:17:25+00:00 On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:17:30 +0000, DoS-FS-3 wrote:
Given that I'm an IT Tech that absolutely despises Windows 8.1 and what it forces you to do and how it now tries to pigeon-hole how you function in it..... I'm ready to absolutely throw this brand new laptop across the room and smash it into a million pieces! Forcing people to make big changes in their day-to-day Win-Based PC operations is so beyond unacceptable to use your paying customers as your ongoing guinea pigs for troubleshooting and understanding your marketing needs. Who the heck decided it was okay to just app everything out on the front end and make the desktop the secondary interface... While your programmers may be 21 years old, your customers vary widely in range and, from ALL of the people I've talked to from ALL of the ages that have been forced into this new Win8 world with new products, let me just tell you... they ALL HATE this Windows version -- and passionately so! Short of profanity at this point, there really are no words. I'm to infinity and beyond on ticked off right now and I'm an IT Tech in the Department of State Foreign Service at a Consulate overseas right now! So, I'm no dummy here, but your operating system is not intuitive, nor user friendly... even to a tech!
First, let me point out that this is not my operating system. This
isn't Microsoft you're addressing; this is a peer support forum. We
are all just users of this version of Windows here, helping each other
if and when we can. We are not Microsoft employees (not even those of
us with "Microsoft MVP" behind our names; that's an honorary title for
having provided consistently helpful advice) except for an occasional
Microsoft contractor or employee.If you want to complain to Microsoft about something, please contact
them directly. Trying to do it here is just a waste of (figurative)
breath.Okay, enough unproductive venting. All I'd like to do--like I used to be able to in Win7 and lesser versions, is simply watch a movie or show in one screen in the corner of my desktop while I'm working in another Microsoft Office program or game in another. That, and perhaps the occasional additional web browser open in another part of my screen so I can multitask. Wow, really? Yep, really.. that's all I want. Looked up this very simple thing across multiple forums and platforms within and outside of Microsoft... Well, gee,... all to no real avail. No clear answers from.... anyone. Lots of answers tried, and barring a very awkward side by side that doesn't lend well to movie watching in one of them, it doesn't appear doable... So.. that said... If I'm missing something here and it's an easy fix, how come about three hours of online research hasn't uncovered it? How come the Microsoft online support site doesn't provide any results for simple searches like "multiple windows open at once on Win8"? Or other fairly simple statements that should take me to a clear, concise, 'here's the exact fix' information? I am so sick and tired of being frustrated with vague information and incompetence toward the customers... Okay guys, prove me a jackass and I'll be fine with that so long as you can provide me with a clear, concise way to give me what I used to have. Here's your opportunity to save some face here. Thanks.
Note that you can get the Start Orb back by using one of several
third-party programs, either free or very inexpensive (Classic Shell
at http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ and Start8 at
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/; my personal preference is
Start8, but they are both very good). And going from one interface to
the other is very easy; there are several ways, but simply pressing
the Windows key is perhaps the easiest.
I use Windows 8, almost exclusively with the traditional desktop
interface, and with Start 8 installed. If you were to look at and use
my computer, you would have a hard time realizing that it's not
Windows 7. And another new third-party program that I like and you
might want is the $4.99 ModernMix at
http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/ I also recommend that you
read "How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7" at
http://www.howtogeek.com/elk/298/45121/4206 -
Anonymous
2014-07-19T13:17:30+00:00 Given that I'm an IT Tech that absolutely despises Windows 8.1 and what it forces you to do and how it now tries to pigeon-hole how you function in it..... I'm ready to absolutely throw this brand new laptop across the room and smash it into a million pieces! Forcing people to make big changes in their day-to-day Win-Based PC operations is so beyond unacceptable to use your paying customers as your ongoing guinea pigs for troubleshooting and understanding your marketing needs. Who the heck decided it was okay to just app everything out on the front end and make the desktop the secondary interface... While your programmers may be 21 years old, your customers vary widely in range and, from ALL of the people I've talked to from ALL of the ages that have been forced into this new Win8 world with new products, let me just tell you... they ALL HATE this Windows version -- and passionately so! Short of profanity at this point, there really are no words. I'm to infinity and beyond on ticked off right now and I'm an IT Tech in the Department of State Foreign Service at a Consulate overseas right now! So, I'm no dummy here, but your operating system is not intuitive, nor user friendly... even to a tech! Okay, enough unproductive venting. All I'd like to do--like I used to be able to in Win7 and lesser versions, is simply watch a movie or show in one screen in the corner of my desktop while I'm working in another Microsoft Office program or game in another. That, and perhaps the occasional additional web browser open in another part of my screen so I can multitask. Wow, really? Yep, really.. that's all I want. Looked up this very simple thing across multiple forums and platforms within and outside of Microsoft... Well, gee,... all to no real avail. No clear answers from.... anyone. Lots of answers tried, and barring a very awkward side by side that doesn't lend well to movie watching in one of them, it doesn't appear doable... So.. that said... If I'm missing something here and it's an easy fix, how come about three hours of online research hasn't uncovered it? How come the Microsoft online support site doesn't provide any results for simple searches like "multiple windows open at once on Win8"? Or other fairly simple statements that should take me to a clear, concise, 'here's the exact fix' information? I am so sick and tired of being frustrated with vague information and incompetence toward the customers... Okay guys, prove me a jackass and I'll be fine with that so long as you can provide me with a clear, concise way to give me what I used to have. Here's your opportunity to save some face here. Thanks.