Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

Anonymous
2013-05-16T04:28:04+00:00

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Driver Version 6.2.9200.16384

Location Port_#0002.Hub_#0004

Universal Serial Bus controllers

(Standard USB Host Controller)

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Btw I tried troubleshooting it and it didn't help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-16T20:29:47+00:00

Hi Billy,

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) Let is try the following steps.

Method 1:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering hardware and devices in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Find and fix problems with devices.‌  You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

Method 2: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers. Follow these steps:

a)    Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run box box and press OK.

b)    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

c)    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

d)    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

e)    Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Post us the results once you try the above steps.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T14:25:45+00:00

    I have the same problem. I can't right click to uninstall because the mouse is not working. I can scroll to the USB nodes but can't actually do anything other than open or close the properties tab. Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-09T09:08:36+00:00

    You can select the USB device list and click on the right click key on your keyboard between the window logo key and ctrl.  So that you can get the properties

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T17:40:08+00:00

    I had a Seagate USB backup drive fail and Windows (Windows 8.1-64) absolutely refused to accept that it was never going to be connected again and kept trying to connect to the device and giving me an  "unknown usb device (port reset failed)/ error code 43" error in device manager, and when I tried just uninstalling it it would always reappear. Since I was unable to find a way to make it stop I opened a program I had downloaded a long time ago, USBDeviceview (free at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb\_devices\_view.html), and it allowed me to tell windows the device was disconnected. All I had to do was find the device in the list, right click on it and select disconnect device (apparently the f9 key would do the same thing after clicking on/selecting the device). What ever you do don't accidentally disconnect your mouse or keyboard or you'll be scrambling to unplug and replug its cable to get Windows to recognize it again!

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the hubs, but all that did for me was make my mouse and keyboard stop working and make it very hard to reboot (finally had to do a hard reset with the power button). And then when all was "said and done" after that disaster the device and error reappeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-22T15:00:22+00:00

    I had a Seagate USB backup drive fail and Windows (Windows 8.1-64) absolutely refused to accept that it was never going to be connected again and kept trying to connect to the device and giving me an  "unknown usb device (port reset failed)/ error code 43" error in device manager, and when I tried just uninstalling it it would always reappear. Since I was unable to find a way to make it stop I opened a program I had downloaded a long time ago, USBDeviceview (free at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb\_devices\_view.html), and it allowed me to tell windows the device was disconnected. All I had to do was find the device in the list, right click on it and select disconnect device (apparently the f9 key would do the same thing after clicking on/selecting the device). What ever you do don't accidentally disconnect your mouse or keyboard or you'll be scrambling to unplug and replug its cable to get Windows to recognize it again!

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the hubs, but all that did for me was make my mouse and keyboard stop working and make it very hard to reboot (finally had to do a hard reset with the power button). And then when all was "said and done" after that disaster the device and error reappeared.

    Is this system a ASUS Z87-Deluxe/Dual that has the intel 87 chip set w/intel i7-4770K CPU

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments