This app can't run on your PC

Anonymous
2013-07-31T01:09:56+00:00

Dear Support Team :

I just bought a MS Surface RT , I was downloaded some programs like cCleaner ,teamviewer ( I download via internet explorer ),after I that I was trying to install those program but it display error message " This app can't run on your PC " , Why Microsoft build a Windows tablet that not allow to install program ? Some program I could not find in the Store , so What should I do ? Please Help ....

Best Regards

Lak You

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-05T14:20:38+00:00

    Skype in the windows store cost money to use even though Skype says it is free and you can talk to families and fiends for free.

    False - Skype is free.

    They even want to charge you for using your own network.

    False - Skype is free on all networks.

    What a shame microsoft would allow that in there store.

    Microsoft does allow Skype in the store. Get it here.

    I would think once you purchase the surface from Microsoft it is your right to use apps from any website that will run on your tablet.

    You can.  You are 100% allowed to use any app that is designed for the ARM processor chip.  Microsoft is not stopping you from using programs, it's the processor.  It's the same reason you can't run full Adobe Photoshop on your phone: it wasn't built for the phone's processor chip.

    It is freeware created under the GNU license. But since it is gnu Microsoft can't make money off it.

    False. There is a lot of free apps for Surface.  Microsoft contributes to open source code, you know.

    There is a need for many types of free apps.

    There are tens of thousands of free apps for Surface. Take your pick.

    They can't afford the extra fees Microsoft charges.

    There are no Microsoft charges.

    -

    It's not a setting or artificial, it's just that the RT line uses what's called an ARM chipset, also known as RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Chip).  It literally can't read the compiled code from full programs.  Same reason you can't run Adobe Photoshop on an iPhone, the processor just can't decode the program.  But on the bright side, it can't run viruses either, so it does make the first version of Windows that can't get "gunked up" over time. It will work like an iPad and have continuous and consistent performance for its entire life. I'm sad they discontinued it so fast, I know a lot of folks that could use that benefit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T01:46:11+00:00

    I just bought a surface Rt as a gift for my family in Vietnam. Skype in the windows store cost money to use even though Skype says it is free and you can talk to families and fiends for free. They even want to charge you for using your own network. What a shame microsoft would allow that in there store. I would think once you purchase the surface from Microsoft it is your right to use apps from any website that will run on your tablet. Tango has an app that will run on surface Rt. It is freeware created under the GNU license. But since it is gnu Microsoft can't make money off it. There is a need for many types of free apps. I am a programmer and a technical analyst. Believe me when I say this is all about blocking the competition. Which s illegal. My Vietnam family are considered well off. They make less than 150 dollars per month. They can't afford the extra fees Microsoft charges. They need app like tango and vpskeys to type Vietnamese on the English keyboard. How sad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-10-27T22:24:40+00:00

    It's the same reason you can't download your grandtheft auto mod onto a phone either :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-10-27T22:24:03+00:00

    No, it's not a software thing you can jailbreak and change.  It has a different kind of processor inside.  It has the same kind of processor an iPad or cell phone uses (called an RISC chip, which means Reduced Instruction Set Computer).  It uses this reduced set of processing so it can have long battery life like a phone or iPad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-27T22:18:41+00:00

    wow that's gay and uhh is there anyway I can make it into a pro like by jailbreaking it or just like buying something for it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments