MS support says the engineers actually read the stuff posted here: http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com. The ideas might gain some traction there...
XBox Music Pass compatible MP3 players
I need a specific question answered. I will ask it two ways:
1) What are some examples of a XBox Music Pass compatible MP3 player (besides a computer, Xbox, tablet, or Windows phone)? Remember, the Zune no longer exists. I want to jog/exercise without wearing my phone in an armband on my bicep.
or
2) If I subscribe to the Music Pass, can I use Windows Media Player to synchronize "subscribed/DRM'ed songs" to a MP3 player? I understand the difference between "purchased" and "subscribed" and DRM and non-DRM. I figure there's a time-limited license that could be uploaded to the MP3, or something.
Look, I don't want to jog with this big WP8 phone attached to my arm. Nor do I want to put it in a fanny pack. That's just gross.
RLD
Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2015-04-09T04:58:00+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-04-05T04:00:06+00:00 The reason why there is no Zune replacement is because the PMP market is dying and even the iPod is suffering in it. Any new device would be DOA.
I can see where the stand-alone PMP market isn't strong - and believe the iPod should die since there is just too much feature overlap between an iPhone and the iPod. I don't see anyone owning both an iPhone and an iPod, but I absolutely see where iPhone users would also own a Shuffle (or maybe a Nano (especially for the use-case discussed in this thread). There is currently no Nano or Shuffle equivalent in the Microsoft ecosystem.
So I would be interested in seeing how the Shuffle is performing in the market and see if there really is a market for that hardware profile... I know I'd buy one if Microsoft had one that was supported on the Xbox Music Subscription.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-05T01:49:30+00:00 The reason why there is no Zune replacement is because the PMP market is dying and even the iPod is suffering in it. Any new device would be DOA.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-05T00:52:09+00:00 If I were MS, I'd keep an eye on The Dash by Bragi (http://www.bragi.com/)...a music player built into wireless ear buds. Not only that but it can do communication, and get body metrics too. MS band would have been my next move, but once again, no music...and no, I will not run a cord from my wrist to my ears. To me, the solution as is I assume from the others checking out this post are:
- Xbox Music Pass Subscription compatibility
- On device storage. At least a couple hours of music. That's only like 2GB seriously would even 4GB all that hard?? - NO PHONE TETHERING!
- Small unobtrusive form-factor that can go for a run, get wet, muddy.
- I don't care if I have to plug some USB in for file transfer. Wireless is not a requirement. Only thing I can really see is paring with wireless headset or ear buds.
If you can't accomplish this, then open up the API so I can make and sell something that can do it and make the money you (MS) don't want.
I think it's great that xbox music is on iOS and Android, but that's not what this post is about. I want my music to come with me on a run, a swim, a ride, etc. I don't need exercise metrics. I don't need Cortana (although I might want her ;) ). I don't need apps! I want a way to take my synchronized playlist with me from whatever the chosen Microsoft music subscription ends up being. That subscription should work on all my other Microsoft devices: Surface, Xbox, Laptop, Phone, and whatever small Zune replacement device you should have made years ago. Seriously, how hard would it be to make Zune 8GB again and make it compatible with Xbox Music instead of Zune???? I'd even take that. Zune may have had a bad rep, but you abandoned the entire concept and threw the baby out with the bathwater. Do you not understand that they only thing that happened at the time was that Apple made it cool to bash Microsoft in any way they could? You had a robust and well functioning ecosystem and you let it go because basically from a business standpoint Apple got everyone to call you a nerd on the playground. I mean seriously, MS, you built an entire empire on making money off of nerdy things. You're good at it, you even made it look cool. Ok...I'm done ranting. Let me know if you open the API and just I'll do it myself.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-04T23:51:36+00:00 Yes, iPod, but then you've gone full Apple. I thought this conversation was about non-smartphone MP3 players from companies who also didn't have subscription services.
Of course all Windows Phones are compatible and can be used like a Zune.
Who put those restrictions\guidelines on this conversation? I believe this conversation started from an Xbox Music Subscription customer that was looking for a small device to run with that would be compatible with his subscription - not all the phones and bricks that people keep advising of. It is 2 years after his original post and we can all see that the answer is no, no such device exists today.
I also have an identical situation and product need. If Microsoft can't deliver a product for my use-case and needs, I'm not afraid to explore other vendors and options - including the Apple products if that's where this leads. If "going full Apple" means that I'll have access to a product line that fits my needs and the way I listen to music then that is certainly a viable option.