Want to disable Airplane mode

Anonymous
2012-12-28T20:02:33+00:00

Original Title: airplane mode

how do you disable and remove airplane mode. my laptop never leaves the house, so I don't need this feature. my Toshiba laptop keeps going into airplane mode by itself and I can't get it off. I've tried looking in control panel, settings and anywhere else I can think, but there isn't a place that addresses airplane mode.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-08T15:11:44+00:00

I found the solution to this problem at:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121227004715AAu7ZM7

The solution provided by 'shakira':

go to start menu

search up "brightness"

click on adjust screen brightness

On the side you will see "Panel Open-Power On" click on that

go to keyboard tab

check the option that says "Standard F1~F12 mode"

then it'll say that you have to restart computer click yes to restart now or restart later

When ur computer is done restarting u wont have that problem

This works.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T17:01:15+00:00

    I've had this issue too.  My computer randomly kicks into airplane mode and I can't get it to turn off and reconnect to wifi with the toggle switch because it won't let me click on either option.  I actually have to go into the control panel every time and click to diagnose connection problems to fix it.  But it keeps happening.   What is causing it to go into airplane mode, and how to do I get a permanent fix, because it's seriously becoming a pain.

    Also, I'd like some instructions that DON'T involve swiping anything.  I have a laptop, not a tablet.  I want my laptop to act like a laptop.  That is the most annoying feature and I disabled it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-08T06:59:08+00:00

    Totally agree with SilasGinn.  Babu's suggestion has nothing to do with 2thFaeree;s issue.  I have the exact same problem. 

    I do not want pressing F12 key on my keyboard to turn on or turn off airplane mode.  I just want to use the F1-F12 keys as they are.

    If there is no solution to this, I will have to go back to Windows 7, and will need all my clients to revert to Windows 7 too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-17T13:58:29+00:00

    Hi, I do not have the option to go on WIFI.  Nowhere does it give me the option.  My orange light on F12 is orange and if I press it it just says flight mode off and flight mode on. Driving me mad.  I have been using WIFI on this computer for ages and my internet went down.  reconfigured it with Telkom but now cannot get wifi only the ethernel cable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-18T20:00:34+00:00

    I'm in the same boat - I'm two seconds away from purchasing the new $3 disable all Windows 8 application, that resets everything to the Windows 7 settings. Seriously. And that would be my first ever "App" purchase. (Can't we just call them applications? We need to PROMOTE better keyboard use, starting with spelling, and being comfortable with typing and USING "big words"!!!) Ahem, yes. So I am having the same hassles. I've already disconfigured the automatic Windows updates. Though you can cancel the next one, I have yet to see a method to fore-stall the one that dumps a person's work and prompts the fix in the first place. Ugh.

    But yeah, as much as I've been able to put up with my laptop pretending it's a tablet all of the time, and I've learned to be cautious while approaching corners with the mouse, (I use a wireless mouse 'cause the touch-pad sensitivity was such a hassle on my last lap-top that was worth the purchase too!) But yeah, I've learned to put up with the Windows 8 INTRUSIONS but today it's dumped several messages repeatedly. I don't need yet more reasons to cut and paste all of my messages (Suffice to say, this is why I stopped using facebook, which was okay for keeping in touch with my ex-daughter immediately after the "divorce" but now we've got other means etc) I don't need to have to cut and paste EVERYTHING I type on the PC, nor do I need to check the wireless everytime I click send. Sometimes I just say WTF and I grab a pen and paper, lick a stamp, etc.) So yeah, NOW I wanna disable the airplane mode. So it doesn't come through and screw with me even when I'm using the Windows 7 reset application! Ha ha.

    Now, all of my REASONS explained. Like I should have to! We ALL hate this product, don't we? I mean, unless we purchased a tablet because we're PASSIVE internet consumers (?) and don't bother to TYPE anything past the length that you'd put through a flip-phone ... (I always use the maximum characters) Maybe it's safe to say that MOST people are happy with this stuff. Sheesh, I can't believe I returned that other laptop because it only had six months worth of Windows on it. To be rid of it that quick might have been a GAWD-send. But you know, I prefer to spend as little time screwing with this thing. For fiddling and customizing, I work with vintage Japanese motorcycles. I don't need to become any other type of nerd, being a bike nerd and recovering marine aquarium nerd is enough for (the waste of) one life. I've also kicked VIDIOT games. Terrible stuff, what's happening to young people these days. At least I got MY kid outdoors, got her on a bike, out in the wind so she can taste a bit of freedom. Probably only when she's run out of gas out where the roads end, but still.....

    Like I was saying, all of THAT said, having explained my REASONS: Your link to how to configure the WiFi was pretty much useless.

    PEOPLE WANNA KNOW HOW TO SET THIS **** UP SO IT DOESN'T INADVERTENTLY DO **** YOU DON'T WANT IT TO DO. NOT JUST AIRPLANE MODE BUT EVERYTHING ELSE TOO.

    Whoops. I didn't mean to "scream" and give you a head-ache. Coming from the type-writer school of writing essays, I regard all caps as a way to make the distilled essence of your thoughts easy to scan for when people are skimming through reams of drivel. Sorry for the "rant". But who's REALLY wasting all the band-width here? Is it me?

                                                                                 -Sigh.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments