Windows 8 says no audio devices installed!

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:21:41+00:00

Windows 8 says no  audio devices installed, but before on win7 all works excellent. Also HDMI device not loaded. Installed on ASUS U24E notebook, with realtek soundcard, I try use volume meter troubleshoot sound problems, but it says all is fine :O and no audio devices exist.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:18:13+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for your question. As I understand that you are getting message no audio devices installed.

Method 1: Step 1: Follow the steps provided below to uninstall the Audio drivers.

a) In the start menu type ‘device manager’, click on settings and then click on ‘device manger’

b) Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers” and right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.

**Step 2:**Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a) Download the Audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

b) Right-click on the driver and click on ‘properties’.

c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.

d) Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=371&m=U24E&os=30&hashedid=p4vz2MZqMstldQdZ

Method 2: Check if audio devices are set to default.

a.      Press “Windows Key + C” to open a “Charms Bar”

b.      Go to settings and type control panel and select sound.

c.      Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

d.       On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

e.      On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

f.      Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.

g.      Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.   

Also refer: No sound in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T19:41:04+00:00

    I am having the same issue. Nothing shows up under Playback in Sound in Control Panel. The weird thing is that it was working not long ago, and I still have sound. I am still fighting this issue though, because my microphone is not being recognized.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-29T05:09:41+00:00

    I discovered one solution.  Restoring the system worked.  However, its lost again yesterday. 

    My assumption, when I tried to upgrade/ or do a windows update (from Windows 8) it goes off... meaning the sound device installed in the laptop (which is one year old Lenovo windows 8) is not compatible with the updates recommended and installed by windows.  Request comments please

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-14T20:31:35+00:00

    i am encountering the same issue. no sound devices are even being detected. not in the charms bar, not in control panel, not when i right click on sound either. and when i click on the megaphone icon at the bottom of the screen it does the whole" detecting problems" or whatever it is. then proceeds to  tell me i need to use the internet to explore options because the computer cant fix the issue. i keep seeing that no audio devices are installed. what do i do

    I am having the same issue. There's a red cross on the audio symbol in the task bar, and its the same problem other people here are talking about saying no audio devices are installed. When I searched in my control panel and selected both disabled and disconnected devices, still nothing came up. I'm very confused because I was using this computer last night, and it was working audio crystal clear. I keep my computer very clean from spyware and only go on trusted sites, and do not download anything without knowing who it's from. I'm using a windows 8 HP Envy computer, which is only two weeks old. 

    If anyone has an answer to this, I would be extremely grateful.

    EDIT: I would also like to mention, troubleshooting could not identify the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-14T21:03:47+00:00

    This was quicker than I thought it would be, but I was able to resolve my problem. 

    Again, i'm using a windows 8 hp envy computer. I went to the start screen, right clicked the start icon, clicked device manager. a list of devices came up, including 'sound, video & game controllers.' under this, was my main IDT High Definition audio output, I simply right clicked and scanned for updates, and then installed the necessary update. Although I don't know why this update had to be found manually, It still worked and I hope this can answer other peoples question with the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments