Windows 8 says no audio devices installed!

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:21:41+00:00

Windows 8 says no  audio devices installed, but before on win7 all works excellent. Also HDMI device not loaded. Installed on ASUS U24E notebook, with realtek soundcard, I try use volume meter troubleshoot sound problems, but it says all is fine :O and no audio devices exist.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:18:13+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for your question. As I understand that you are getting message no audio devices installed.

Method 1: Step 1: Follow the steps provided below to uninstall the Audio drivers.

a) In the start menu type ‘device manager’, click on settings and then click on ‘device manger’

b) Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers” and right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.

**Step 2:**Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a) Download the Audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

b) Right-click on the driver and click on ‘properties’.

c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.

d) Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=371&m=U24E&os=30&hashedid=p4vz2MZqMstldQdZ

Method 2: Check if audio devices are set to default.

a.      Press “Windows Key + C” to open a “Charms Bar”

b.      Go to settings and type control panel and select sound.

c.      Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

d.       On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

e.      On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

f.      Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.

g.      Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.   

Also refer: No sound in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-07T04:47:06+00:00

    Hi!

    I am having a similar issue. I follow all of the steps on method two, but once I get to the playback tab it says I have no audio device period. No default audio or anything. I don't know much about computers but I think I accidentally disabled it trying to fix a netflix problem and now I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how I am ever going to use my audio again. This computer is less than 3 months old and I cannot figure out how to fix this.

    please please please help me as soon as possible!?

    thank you,

    Valerie

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-12T22:18:55+00:00

    I tried all of that and more, no luck.

    Lenovo V570 laptop win 8 pro

    did a win update today and my sound device is gone. Also dl newest itunes.

    Tried searching for new drivers, Uninstalled drivers, downloaded new ones, no good

    I have realtech hi def audio and Intel audio display drivers-lil yellow triangle with exclamation point on both of them in the device manager.

    Speaker icon in the task bar has a white x on a red background.

    Tried recovery to 2 weeks ago, still no change.

    Been at it for 2 hours now and I'm no noob.

    This Computer is very clean, no **** in it at all, I barely use it.

    All help gratefully received.

    Regards,

    William White

    902-892-9504

    PE Canada, C1A4S8

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-02T07:13:47+00:00

    So, I solve my problem, come back to win7, all working properly :) .

    My first impression about win8: 1) metro is good for tablets but bad for desktops  - I hope in win9 this will be solved. 2) Win8 troubleshooter answer - all is ok, but I know that problem exists make me nervous. 3) drivers for my asus u24e. - let's wait when real win8 drivers will be created. 

    So feeling -  win8 is going the same bad way as vista and Microsoft nothing learn from previous failures - turn off possibility switch off metro is vry bad idea witch according google exists in prerelease.

    BR

    Kaspars

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-30T06:49:17+00:00

    Thank You for response!

    i follow your recommendations:

    1. uninstall sound drivers (there are two sound drivers: High Definition Audio device and Realtek High definition audio
    2. Download from ASUS website latest audio driver (this was a zip file 92Mb), unzip this file (because it not allows any other functions to install driver. than on setup.exe I use Your recommended troubleshoot compatibility, select windows 7 and install it. after restart I got same old picture in drivers.

    than I also check sounds part in control Panel, select Playback tab. There are no any playback devices so I can't set default device.

    My monitor is connected through HDMI and on win7 sound this way also working well.

    =========

    So my life continues without sound.

    All other devices working properly on win8 (same as on win7).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments