Windows 8 says no audio devices installed!

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:21:41+00:00

Windows 8 says no  audio devices installed, but before on win7 all works excellent. Also HDMI device not loaded. Installed on ASUS U24E notebook, with realtek soundcard, I try use volume meter troubleshoot sound problems, but it says all is fine :O and no audio devices exist.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:18:13+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for your question. As I understand that you are getting message no audio devices installed.

Method 1: Step 1: Follow the steps provided below to uninstall the Audio drivers.

a) In the start menu type ‘device manager’, click on settings and then click on ‘device manger’

b) Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers” and right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.

**Step 2:**Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a) Download the Audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

b) Right-click on the driver and click on ‘properties’.

c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.

d) Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=371&m=U24E&os=30&hashedid=p4vz2MZqMstldQdZ

Method 2: Check if audio devices are set to default.

a.      Press “Windows Key + C” to open a “Charms Bar”

b.      Go to settings and type control panel and select sound.

c.      Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

d.       On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

e.      On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

f.      Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.

g.      Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.   

Also refer: No sound in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T06:44:18+00:00

    Hey guys, I have been following the chain.  I have a similar problem with my Lenovo windows 8.  No audio device found.  Right clicked the empty space that says ' no disabled or disconnected devise".  It also says 'driver is up to date' as mentioned by Jeffery.  Please help !!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-05T21:19:34+00:00

    This worked like a charm.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T18:36:02+00:00

    Help I have the same problem.  When I right-click inside the Sound/Playback (empty) window, both boxes to Show Disconnected and Show Disabled are checked.  When I click on the speaker icon i get a black box.  When I try to update driver from Device Manager, it says driver is up to date and working properly (hahaha).  In spite of this I can hear Windows sounds, but not some Apps like Spotify.  And my bluetooth headset microphone....does not exist.  Can't Skype.  

    Again...Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T20:27:09+00:00

    Hello Vijay B,

    I followed your last link and it led me to a download: the audio trubleshooter.

    Through it I could set my Speakers as the default playback device, and now sounds reproduce in most situations (on the internet browsers and iTunes, for instance).

    Still, some things bug me:

    I cannot see which playback devices are connected to my PC on the Playback Tab inside the Sound Configurations Panel that you mentioned in Method 2. (Even though I checked Display Disabled/Disconnected Devices). Thus, I depend on the troubleshooter to change that.

    On top of that, Zune won't play any sound, returning this *C00D11CD (C00D1063)*error.

    I tried my best about updating my driver.

    I've got an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard with Realtek HD Audio.

    Asus won't provide any Windows 8 compatible driver, so I have to download one directly from Realtek - which I'm not sure is a safe way.

    I'm working my way around, but it would be really nice to have things running smoothly again.

    Thanks for the attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments