How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-10T20:13:51+00:00

    why couldn't msft add an opton to show folder size?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-04T21:37:05+00:00

    I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

    You can use 2Explorer program (3rd Party) and then press Control + D which will show you size of all folders in the selected folder or drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T19:43:31+00:00

    See my post above dated 17 May 2014, which shows the editable right-click function window of Winfile within the screen print. Here is a screen print of that "Total Size" results window, which gives sufficient, although not as extensive folder size information as TreeSize Free:

        (SCREEN PRINT "Winfile Total Size Results Window.jpg")

    Again, Winfile is the answer to many of Windows Explorer's shortcomings . . .

    Sometimes, you may find that the path gets too long to view in the total size results box, which is not a new problem within many programs; consider Microsoft, where many of its windows are still based on an antiquated 640x480 screen size. (Ref: Trying to view the paths of the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab). The fix for this inadequacy is to download the program called ResizeEnable (Win7 compatible), which can be downloaded from here: http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/downloads/ResizeEnable.zip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-06T23:17:30+00:00

    If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

    The first two times I read your comment, I thought this line was talking about something else entirely -- certainly didn't register what you were saying.

    For others in the same boat, what he's saying here is:

    1.) With the file explorer as the active window, USE THE ARROW KEYS to navigate to highlight the folder for which you wish to know the contents' size.

    2.) Pause for hover text -- do not move mouse or anything else for a moment -- hover text will show Date Created, SIZE, and an abridged list of files therein.

    3.) Repeat as needed.

    4.) Profit. 

    I don't know about the rest of y'all, but THIS is the answer I was looking for, even though I missed it at first. Thank you, ThrashZone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments