How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T10:26:10+00:00

    I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

    A free tool that does this can be found here: Folder Size

    I do not recommend you installing any shell extensions or integration as those will slow down your system and will shorten the life of your hard drive due to the useless extra file operations.

    The one that I recommend adds a context menu item in Windows Explorer named "Scan With Folder Size" and you can use it whenever you need it. The cool thing is that it can also display folders that are not visible even with ADMINISTRATOR account like "System Volume Information" etc.

    It is a great free tool that I use daily:

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-23T10:17:36+00:00

    If you do not want 3rd party utilities, or wait to hover over each folder because it wastes time, and are comfortable with some technical steps, then powershell will do all of this.

    See this Microsoft TechNet blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2012/05/25/getting-directory-sizes-in-powershell.aspx

    There is a link to the commands to run as a powershell script that will give the original poster what they are after.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T06:45:37+00:00

    The properties view has not shown the folder size information since Windows XP, so this does not apply to Windows 7. But thanks anyway. Travannah

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-11T18:39:11+00:00

    As a workaround, you can use the Properties dialog (alt+Enter), and that will give you the total size of a selection, which could be multiple folders - I find that useful. 

    Unfortunately, you have to do this for each folder you want to know the size of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments