How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T22:58:17+00:00

    That is a ridiculous solution for a problem that can be solved for free, or a small chunk of change compared to the thousands of dollars you suggest for a computer that only allows you to do what the manufacturer wants you to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T19:11:41+00:00

    I've been using Beyond Compare for years and it offers a much better file/folder tool set than Win 7 explorer. Prior to showing you the size of each folder you need to go to Session>Session Settings>Handling>Automatically scan top-level folders.  You can also expand, in tree form, all sub-folders and files in them.  Couldn't live without it now.  It can either be used in portable or install mode. But it's not free - but it has a eval to check it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-12T20:15:34+00:00

    Per associated replies on this post, the answer to the exact inquiry by NeedFolderSize is that Windows 7 does not offer this feature on its own, but third party software can be used to provide it. However, based on your description of your larger task at hand, there may be some better options.

    It depends on what you're doing, but if you have a specific daily routine that is unique to your work activities, I would consider exploring a programmatic solution.  The easiest of which would perhaps involve an Excel macro that makes use of a FileDialog Class and/or a filescriptingobject.  You could have your macro loop through the folders and return a hyperlinked report based on specific filetypes, names, dates, and/or content of files.  

    Alternatively, I have found the search feature in the upper right hand corner of windows explorer to be an often underutilized tool.  I think it may give you exactly what you're looking for.  The underutilized portion of explorer's search feature is its ability to filter and return categorized results.

    You can easily explore this option by doing some Googling (or Binging since this is a Microsoft forum :) ) for more information on syntax and how to use these features.  Here's somewhere to start: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/advanced-tips-for-searching-in-windows.  Also, you can try opening search by entering Window's Start menu and hitting F3, which will bring up an Explorer window that more clearly shows filter options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-06T23:17:30+00:00

    If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

    The first two times I read your comment, I thought this line was talking about something else entirely -- certainly didn't register what you were saying.

    For others in the same boat, what he's saying here is:

    1.) With the file explorer as the active window, USE THE ARROW KEYS to navigate to highlight the folder for which you wish to know the contents' size.

    2.) Pause for hover text -- do not move mouse or anything else for a moment -- hover text will show Date Created, SIZE, and an abridged list of files therein.

    3.) Repeat as needed.

    4.) Profit. 

    I don't know about the rest of y'all, but THIS is the answer I was looking for, even though I missed it at first. Thank you, ThrashZone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments