How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-12T14:48:10+00:00

    Do any of these utilities work on network drives?  I need to view folder sizes on our network server, not just on my hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-06T23:17:30+00:00

    If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

    The first two times I read your comment, I thought this line was talking about something else entirely -- certainly didn't register what you were saying.

    For others in the same boat, what he's saying here is:

    1.) With the file explorer as the active window, USE THE ARROW KEYS to navigate to highlight the folder for which you wish to know the contents' size.

    2.) Pause for hover text -- do not move mouse or anything else for a moment -- hover text will show Date Created, SIZE, and an abridged list of files therein.

    3.) Repeat as needed.

    4.) Profit. 

    I don't know about the rest of y'all, but THIS is the answer I was looking for, even though I missed it at first. Thank you, ThrashZone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-24T16:52:10+00:00

    OK, this doesn't solve the exact problem that was asked, but this is how I accomplished the task I set out to complete when looking for this answer. I hope this helps others...

    Scenario:

    I was moving large amounts of files/folders to a new computer and wanted to avoid moving large unnecessary files. I landed on this page because I just wanted to open a folder and see the sizes of all the subfolders so that I could go into the large ones and delete unnecessary files.

    Maybe this is what you're trying to do too. This may seem obvious, but here was my workaround:

    Solution:

    Just open the folder that you want to investigate and in the upper-right you'll see the "Search ..." box.  Just type * (asterisk) in there, hit <Enter> and you'll be shown all files in all subfolders. Just below the search box change the view to "Details" so you can see the file sizes and sort by the "Size" column.

    This is how I identified the large files I didn't want across many subfolders.  I didn't really care about the folder sizes, but I thought that's what I needed to solve my problem.

    You can do this at any folder level of course, it just takes longer the more folders you're trying to process at once.

    Again, doesn't answer the specific question, but might answer the root question of someone who lands on this page.

    Side Note:

    I love how these forums allow you to mark a reply as an "Answer" or "Helpful" because as with my reply, it's not the answer to the question, but may be very helpful to some.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T19:15:11+00:00

    This is not available after windows xp.

    I personally use this free Folder Size tool for disk cleanup purposes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments