How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-31T19:25:22+00:00

    Knowing the sizes of a group of folders when listed is one of the most rudimentary and necessary functions of an Operating System.  Once again MS takes a giant step backwards.  Is there anyone at MS who has used a Mac from the 1980s and asked why can't we get these kind of results yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    400+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T10:26:10+00:00

    I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

    A free tool that does this can be found here: Folder Size

    I do not recommend you installing any shell extensions or integration as those will slow down your system and will shorten the life of your hard drive due to the useless extra file operations.

    The one that I recommend adds a context menu item in Windows Explorer named "Scan With Folder Size" and you can use it whenever you need it. The cool thing is that it can also display folders that are not visible even with ADMINISTRATOR account like "System Volume Information" etc.

    It is a great free tool that I use daily:

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T16:53:24+00:00

    What resources you are talking about???

    Computers are getting stronger every day.

    What about the time the user spend to search for the right folder?

    That information is important for the user.

    Windows creators are destroying the windows version after version.

    They are removing useful options and adding useless ones.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-04T18:18:20+00:00

    Allow me to rephrase…

    There is not currently an option in Windows 7 to show “FOLDER Size”.  There is a built in option to show “Size”, but this built in column heading (in the view setting “Details”) does not load folder sizes unless viewing in the recycle bin (?!?!?).  The column heading “Size” will display the size of file within a folder, but will not show the size of a folder.

    Here is an example of what I run across on a daily (if not hourly) basis:

    I open a folder which contains many folders which have been created as templates since we use the same format for each project we work on.  At first glance, it is difficult to understand what (if any) information is within the set of folders unless I either a.) open each one up to view the contents, b.) hover over each one to see the contents, or c.) right click and choose properties for the contents.  This is very time consuming when there could be 10 to 15 folders to go through for each project and I might work on 5 to 10 projects in any given day.  If there is an option to view folder sizes, the task of finding data is much faster since I won’t waste my time clicking on a folder that doesn’t have any data.  There is a 3rd party program called FolderSize (previously used with Windows XP), but it doesn’t work with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments