A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state.

Anonymous
2012-10-29T18:24:53+00:00

When I'm using my computer running Windows 8 Pro x64 randomly all of the USB's will freeze up, yet the PC will still run fine. Then they will all come back online a little while later. 

By online my WiFi adapter doesn't seem to re-initiate.

Checking the events log I see a flurry of the following error.

"A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state."

Thanks,

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-12T17:34:51+00:00

Those of you with USB WiFi adapters based on Atheros AR9271 chips (TP-Link WN722N, Netgear WNA1100 etc.) might want to try this.

I found a driver in the windows update catalog that is newer (version 2.0.0.49) than the one offered by windows update (2.0.0.32) that seems to have cured all the WiFi drops I was getting under heavy network load.

Atheros AR9271 Driver x64

You'll have to extract the .cab(inet) archive and then do a manual driver install (right click the adapter in device manager, update drivers and then pick the location manually, point it to where you unpacked the driver, from the 'have disk' dialog)

I have been running this for over a month and have not had any network specific drops since. Now, if I could only find a fix for the joystick drops in FSX...sigh

Notice, this is the 64bit driver, I cannot comment on the x86 driver one way or the other.

Also, if you are already running version 2.0.0.49 of the driver and still have problems, obviously this won't help you.

Hope this helps someone, best of luck.

Much thanks,this REALLY helps on tplink W822N

Problem solved~~~

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T21:10:45+00:00

    I tried the registry fix and it still didn't help.  I think that its something that Microsoft or AMD is going to have to fix with a driver update.  I've tried my USB 3.0 ports as well as the 2.0 ports and nothing helped.  I'm guessing that Windows is just forcing more and more data through the USB ports and never limits them, so the chips hit the upper limit and die.  Which is why a reboot fixes it temporarily until you put a heavy load on the USB controller again.  My two cents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T21:02:23+00:00

    I suspect all of you are getting this error or something similiar;

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        usbehci

    Date:          4/21/2013 1:17:21 PM

    Event ID:      3

    Task Category: None

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Computer:      MOTHRA

    Description:

    A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state.

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="usbehci" />

        <EventID Qualifiers="49153">3</EventID>

        <Level>2</Level>

        <Task>0</Task>

        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-04-21T20:17:21.820744600Z" />

        <EventRecordID>68740</EventRecordID>

        <Channel>System</Channel>

        <Computer>MOTHRA</Computer>

        <Security />

      </System>

      <EventData>

        <Data>\Device\USBFDO-5</Data>

        <Binary>000068000100000000000000030001C000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002109643000000007ECA030076CA030008000000000000000000000007000000000000000000000000000000000000008F3100000700000006000000030000000C000000713800000000000000000000080000000000000001000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    it appears to occur under sustained high transfer load on my USB WiFi adapter (Netgear WN4000) - I have all of the latest motherboard/chipset/bios drivers and software. This is the second MBoard it is occurring with, the first was an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 that have swapped out for an MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2 - so i know its not a hardware problem. I have tried the firewall fix - no joy, I have tried the WiFi adapter in the USB3 slot - no joy. When the failure occurs I lose wireless networking and some USB drives i have attached and the system does not/will not reset/reinitialize the USB subsystem. With the ASUS board I could count on a "Driver Power State Failure" blue screen some time after the event. I am convinced its a win 8 shortcoming, specifically some form of USB flow control failure. Any fix suggestions are greatly appreciated - if I had any hair left I would have pulled it out by now.

    next fix attempt will be the Registry WiFi settings suggested by Ilias in a dec 2012 post

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T21:00:56+00:00

    I never did find a resolution to this issue.  My gut tells me that its a specific issue with Win8, our TP-Link wifi adapters and our AMD Southbridge drivers.  I ended up putting Windows 7 back on and everything works as intended.  Same hardware, just different OS.  Maybe AMD, Atheros and Microsoft can figure this issue out by the time 8.1 comes out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T19:46:25+00:00

    Hello, i have the same issue - WiFi drops (just WiFi in my case, didn't notice USB mouse and / or keybord hang outs).

    I'm struggling with it for couple of days and see no hope...

    My computer

    This desktop computer was built from scratch by a professional company, so I guess is not a power cord issue.

    WiFi Cards

    Tried 2 different WiFi Cards (TP Link TL-WN722N with beta win8 drivers) and ASUS USB-N13 11n.

    Both - the same behaviour (less often with ASUS).

    Power Management

    Double checked power management and turned off every "Allow this device to go to sleep..." option i saw.

    I even disabled "Selective suspend" for USB devices in Power Management Applet.

    Drivers

    Have the latest drivers for mainboard (ASRock 970 Pro3), WiFi cards (this ASUS), everything, even BIOS.

    Still struggling...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments