A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state.

Anonymous
2012-10-29T18:24:53+00:00

When I'm using my computer running Windows 8 Pro x64 randomly all of the USB's will freeze up, yet the PC will still run fine. Then they will all come back online a little while later. 

By online my WiFi adapter doesn't seem to re-initiate.

Checking the events log I see a flurry of the following error.

"A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Asynchronous Schedule to transition to the enabled state."

Thanks,

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-12T17:34:51+00:00

Those of you with USB WiFi adapters based on Atheros AR9271 chips (TP-Link WN722N, Netgear WNA1100 etc.) might want to try this.

I found a driver in the windows update catalog that is newer (version 2.0.0.49) than the one offered by windows update (2.0.0.32) that seems to have cured all the WiFi drops I was getting under heavy network load.

Atheros AR9271 Driver x64

You'll have to extract the .cab(inet) archive and then do a manual driver install (right click the adapter in device manager, update drivers and then pick the location manually, point it to where you unpacked the driver, from the 'have disk' dialog)

I have been running this for over a month and have not had any network specific drops since. Now, if I could only find a fix for the joystick drops in FSX...sigh

Notice, this is the 64bit driver, I cannot comment on the x86 driver one way or the other.

Also, if you are already running version 2.0.0.49 of the driver and still have problems, obviously this won't help you.

Hope this helps someone, best of luck.

Much thanks,this REALLY helps on tplink W822N

Problem solved~~~

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-21T04:19:23+00:00

    "I gave up on this quite a while ago and downgraded my desktop back to Windows 7.  I think this may be a bios or chipset/driver issue that manufacturers either don't know how to fix or won't.

    Thanks Jarret but how very sad that we can't get an issue such as this corrected by Microsoft.

    Do they follow these forums?  You would expect some sort of bot to be trolling these forums in particular?

    In any case, I am going to move the USB 2.0 target backup drive from the USB 2.0 interface to the USB 3.0 PCI card which has 4 ports.  While the above sounds like a hardware issue and some of you may think why should Microsoft take responsibility it is still about communications between 2 drives on the same interface so they should at least be abel to cover some of the issue wouldn't you think?

    My USB 3.0 PCI card also supports 2.0.  It has my main backup drive (USB 3.0) but both drives won't be used concurrently so hopefully this may solve the issue?...

    I will test tonight and post the result."

    For anyone interested not good news from my test overnight.

    While the Acronis Trueimage 2013 File Backup was logged as completing successfully it did not then successfully Validate.  This is a problem I have had many times now under Windows 8.

    However, we have a partial improvement in that the backup itself did not fall over this time.  Even though the validate logged the backup as corrupted, I was successfully able to restore and open a couple of files picked at random; not all bad news I guess.

    In summary, there still appears to be a problem using backup software to copy from and to an external USB drive whether it is on the same interface or not.   I upgraded from Vista to Win 8 Pro so don't have the option of going back to Win 7.  While not good the situation is tolerable so I guess I will persist with what I have.

    I would certainly appreciate if anyone finds or here's of any solutions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-20T08:18:12+00:00

    I gave up on this quite a while ago and downgraded my desktop back to Windows 7.  I think this may be a bios or chipset/driver issue that manufacturers either don't know how to fix or won't.

    Thanks Jarret but how very sad that we can't get an issue such as this corrected by Microsoft.  

    Do they follow these forums?  You would expect some sort of bot to be trolling these forums in particular?

    In any case, I am going to move the USB 2.0 target backup drive from the USB 2.0 interface to the USB 3.0 PCI card which has 4 ports.  While the above sounds like a hardware issue and some of you may think why shoudl Microsoft take responsibility it is still about communications between 2 drives on the same interface so they should at least be abel to cover some of the issue wouldn't you think?

    My USB 3.0 PCI card also supports 2.0.  It has my main backup drive (USB 3.0) but both drives won't be used concurrently so hopefully this may solve the issue?...

    I will test tonight and post the result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-19T00:36:06+00:00

    I gave up on this quite a while ago and downgraded my desktop back to Windows 7.  I think this may be a bios or chipset/driver issue that manufacturers either don't know how to fix or won't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-19T00:18:33+00:00

    Gigabyte AMD Phenom X4 on a GAUS 720 UD3 motherboard with native USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0 PCI Express card (by Oxhorn I believe).  All on Win 8 Pro.

    All good info everyone but I have the patch KB2822241 installed for some time and still having problems.

    It has taken me a while to post as I have been working through this with my backup software compan, Actonis.  Excellent assistance from them by the way during the pre-sales and post sales 30 day free support period!  I originally thought it was backup software (ShadowProtect) and after lack of support from them changed to Acronis now to do backups and seems we have proven their product works fine.  I have also run heaps of memory and disk diagnostics.  Reformatted and checked drives etc.  All OK.

    My main backup is from external USB 2.0 to a Buffalo 3.0 drive on the PCI Extpress USB 3.0 interface which appears to work fine......

    My problem is currently with my fallback backup using external WD Elements drives on the USB 2.0 interface (from F to E) on the motherboard.  I get various errors relating to EHCI but the 1st was

    "A timeout occurred while waiting for the EHCI host controller Interrupt on Async Advance Doorbell response."

    All devices connected to the USB 2.0 interface seem to disconnect and a reboot is always required to remedy.  I can copy manually between the drives without having problems.

    Anyone else having these problems still and does anyone know of any solutions out there or if Microsoft are working on the issue?

    Anybody?......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments