How do I re-index Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail under Win 7?

Anonymous
2012-07-26T23:39:50+00:00

I paid Microsoft to have a Microsoft Tech fix my Live Mail,  and it still has lost its links to messages in the Storage folders.  The Microsoft Tech link does not work.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-22T00:48:39+00:00

    Hi tsanfilippo,

    We apologize for the late response. This issue is still escalated to our Escalation Engineers. We appreciate your patience, we will post back once an update is available.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-22T13:23:50+00:00

    So I dragged and dropped all the folders that were under the last imported folder into the top imported folder to eliminate the duplicates that were now all at the bottom of the list of folders.  It was either just before this or just after this that I noticed about half of the folders were corrupt.  (top half of the folders were fine, folders about half way down the folder list was where the problem started about half way down and from that point and all the way to the bottom all were showing the same body in the emails, all other folders above, showed the correct info in the body of the email.  All subjects lines and date info seemed good in all folders)That is when I tried to create the new folder under storage folders that you will see in the screen shots named "1Quailtest".  When I moved the email to this folder, the body went from duplicated content to the current "message cannot be found".  I moved the email from the folder directly below the test folder "Quail".

    ****

    C:\Users\Tonyzion\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Local Folders\Investment  5f7\7462 S Quai f35

    There are roughly 190 characters in that location.  The maximum characters that can be used is 255.

    If a compaction does not fix this problem, then you need to manually rebuild the corrupt folder.

    Find a corrupt folder in WLMail.

    Create a new folder in WLMail.

    Locate the emails in Windows Explorer.

    Drag the emails from Windows Explorer to the new WLMail folder.

    If the emails are ok in the new folder, delete the old folder in WLMail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T03:08:36+00:00

    Well, I have a ton of folders not to mention messages that are affected, why did WLM let me create the folders if there is a character limit?

    I noticed on some of the folders that I did the above fix to, WLM cut off the name of the folder and shortened it. 

    I down loaded WLM 2012 and tried to import it into that program and I think more of the folders were ok, when I changed the compact the database option to 1 day, it may have created more corrupt folders, but I am not 100% sure.  Do you think that is Possible.

    Is there any other solution other than the slow process from your last post that I just can't seem to find the time to get done? 

    Like import the WLM format into another program that would work, shorten the folder names export and then re import to WLM?

    Or a trick to extend the max characters?

    Please advise.

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T03:36:49+00:00

    In looking at the post above where the file name is

    C:\Users\Tonyzion\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Local Folders\Investment  5f7\7462 S Quai f35

    Notice that the file name has more than one folder called "Storage folders" and more than one "Imported Folder".  I believe that these were created by WLM when I imported the back up.

    Is there a way to remove these folder names or shorten them so that When I import the emails, the file  name string will not go over the character limit that WLM has with in the program?

    I didn't need these extra folders that were created for me by WLM.

    Please let me know if you have any ideas I would like to adjust something small then re import if possible.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T10:37:44+00:00

    Hi Tsanfilippo,

    Please move the .eml files for each message to a folder on your desktop and then back into the desired location within a folder in the Windows Live Mail GUI Once mail is organized in the desired order you are able to remove duplicates.

    If the emails have no body and just a subject please check them manually by opening them form the actual location - as indicated however - these can me moved anywhere and then re-imported via drag&drop into inbox.

    Thanks,

    Ron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments