How do I re-index Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail under Win 7?

Anonymous
2012-07-26T23:39:50+00:00

I paid Microsoft to have a Microsoft Tech fix my Live Mail,  and it still has lost its links to messages in the Storage folders.  The Microsoft Tech link does not work.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T23:22:54+00:00

    Only 4000 over 10 years? Consider yourself lucky. I must have about 500,000.

    This problem is not just that you can't see the email. You also can't move it (in WLM) or delete it. So if it is spam you're stuck with it.

    Here's what I've learned over the years about OE/WLM. For one, it gets worse as folders get filled up with too many messages. So it's a good idea to put them into subfolders, even if just by date. I have to create them for every 3 months as they get up to about 15,000 messages at that point.  I allow the current year to stay as one folder because it's a pain to have to search each quarter one at a time when I can't remember exactly when a message came in (or went out). That's one feature of OE I miss:searching a folder and its subfolders.

    So the next thing I do, also since WLM won't seem to search the text of mails, is move ALL my mails older than a year or two into a separate folder on my hard drive and tell Windows Search to index that folder. I retain the subfolder structure from WLM in that folder for consistency. So if I am looking for something recent I use WLM, and if it is older I open Windows Explorer, go to the old email folder, and run a much faster search over from, to, subject and text of message. Just remember to close the search window when you are done, as it uses a lot of windows resources while open even after the search is complete.  My extra old mail folder is about 30GB and it finds my results in less a minute. Your 4,000 emails will be fond in a few seconds at most I'd wager, and you can search on text. Which also negates some of the need to bother organizing the emails anyway since the search will do that for you.

    When I have a crash of any kind and WLM is open (which is nearly always), something will probably get corrupted in the index. When this first happened to me, I thought I had lost all my emails. Trying to recover them with various tools took weeks, and only recovered about 10% of them. So the only recourse I had was to convince myself I didn't need all those emails anyway, and move on with my life. About a month later, while poking around on my hard drive, I found all these other folders with weird names of random letters and digits, sometimes appended to my old folder names, sometimes not. The reason I hadn't noticed these is that they were deeply deeply embedded in my folder structure. It turned out WLM had recovered all the mails and made new folders for me. It just hadn't bothered to tell me about them! Also, I suspect it was doing the recover in the background while WLM was open for other things, and with the amount of mail I had, this process may have taken days or weeks. But they were there. Not always segregated the way I did, but that was secondary.

    Here's the solution: in WLM create a new folder, with no messages. Then, in Explorer, find the new folder that just got created, and the old folder with the bad index (this step might be VERY difficult because WLM creates deep trees). With WLM closed, simply copy the files from the old folder to the new one. Once it's done, reopen WLM and give it time to index the new folder (this can take a while if you have a lot of messages).  They will all show as unread, and the From will contain both the name and email. But otherwise, all will be fine after that.

    However, it may be that the bad messages don't show up in the new folder. This happens when the message is in the old index, but the file was already deleted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T14:08:34+00:00

    Are you telling me to take over 4000 emails saved over 10 years and manually sort them back into the folders I have created over the last 10 years?

    I am looking for a solution like, import them to one program (WLM created to fix this programing error in WLM) and then export them from that one and re-import to WLM.  Or WLM has seen this issue and updated the program so just re-import your back up and now it will work. 

    I don't have the time to manually touch thousands of emails.  again....  Because WLM decided to put a litmit to the number of characters allowed in their file structure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T10:37:44+00:00

    Hi Tsanfilippo,

    Please move the .eml files for each message to a folder on your desktop and then back into the desired location within a folder in the Windows Live Mail GUI Once mail is organized in the desired order you are able to remove duplicates.

    If the emails have no body and just a subject please check them manually by opening them form the actual location - as indicated however - these can me moved anywhere and then re-imported via drag&drop into inbox.

    Thanks,

    Ron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T03:36:49+00:00

    In looking at the post above where the file name is

    C:\Users\Tonyzion\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Storage folders\Imported Folder\Local Folders\Investment  5f7\7462 S Quai f35

    Notice that the file name has more than one folder called "Storage folders" and more than one "Imported Folder".  I believe that these were created by WLM when I imported the back up.

    Is there a way to remove these folder names or shorten them so that When I import the emails, the file  name string will not go over the character limit that WLM has with in the program?

    I didn't need these extra folders that were created for me by WLM.

    Please let me know if you have any ideas I would like to adjust something small then re import if possible.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T03:08:36+00:00

    Well, I have a ton of folders not to mention messages that are affected, why did WLM let me create the folders if there is a character limit?

    I noticed on some of the folders that I did the above fix to, WLM cut off the name of the folder and shortened it. 

    I down loaded WLM 2012 and tried to import it into that program and I think more of the folders were ok, when I changed the compact the database option to 1 day, it may have created more corrupt folders, but I am not 100% sure.  Do you think that is Possible.

    Is there any other solution other than the slow process from your last post that I just can't seem to find the time to get done? 

    Like import the WLM format into another program that would work, shorten the folder names export and then re import to WLM?

    Or a trick to extend the max characters?

    Please advise.

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments