How do I re-index Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail under Win 7?

Anonymous
2012-07-26T23:39:50+00:00

I paid Microsoft to have a Microsoft Tech fix my Live Mail,  and it still has lost its links to messages in the Storage folders.  The Microsoft Tech link does not work.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-16T14:04:33+00:00

    (I'm sorry for my english, I'm Italian)

    I also recently I had the same problem and after several attempts I solved in this way: premise, of course before making the recovery I had made the backup of emails trought WLM in a folder.

    Open explorer and go to the folder where you did the mails' backup, take ONLY the final folder and move it somewhere else (I have put on the desktop), then using WLM I always imported ALL folders that I needed at once and it worked! But if I tried importing the same folders leaving the way it was before was not working.

    Now I do not know if this worked only for me or if it can work for you, try if you have not yet solved.

    Here link of all screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yf2o0o5ov1ybeug/AAA-Ev8UoCavu-ImGCa7qQ4Va

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-24T02:16:38+00:00

    I believe I found a more efficient solution than the last one mentinoned (provided that you have a vaild backup of the .eml files in another folder. If you don't and you are sure that the mails themselves in the bad indexed folder are not corrupted -meaning that when you double click on them they open and they are correct- make a copy of the .eml files to another folder):

    in WLM create a new folder, with no messages. Leave the WLM open showing that new empty folder. Then, in Windows Explorer, locate the backup folder with the .eml files and drug'n'drop them into the newly created folder in WLM. After you have double checked that you have transferred all your corrupted emails to the new folder you may safely delete your bad indexed folder. Repeat the process for every problematic folder.

    The above was tested in WLM 2012 but I strongly believe it will work on WLM 2011 also (maybe on older versions too).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-31T16:24:13+00:00

    Very usefull thread, I managed to work around the WLM-import bug, thanks to RichTCT:

    Here's the solution: in WLM create a new folder, with no messages. Then, in Explorer, find the new folder that just got created, and the old folder with the bad index (this step might be VERY difficult because WLM creates deep trees). With WLM closed, simply copy the files from the old folder to the new one. Once it's done, reopen WLM and give it time to index the new folder (this can take a while if you have a lot of messages).  They will all show as unread, and the From will contain both the name and email. But otherwise, all will be fine after that.

    Import was also to create a new folder on a lower level than where the erroneous folder is, otherwise my problem was not solved. Apparently WLM starts indexing again when a new folder is found.

    Like stated above, I also imported my mail quite a few times after switching to a new machine. This probably raises the chance to run into this bug.

    I also found that all folder with a space in the folder name gave the problems as described above.

    I'm quite disappointed that MS does not share a resolution to this bug, as more people have stumbled upon it (a found at least one other thread with the same bug)....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-24T17:41:30+00:00

    I have found what I think is a better solution all round. It is similar to what I previously described, but instead of using Windows Search it uses a far superior program which happens to have a free version, though that one has some limitations I haven't figured out how to get around. As I write this I am deleting about 500,000 emails from WLM.

    The program is MailStore, and the Home Edition is highly functional and free. It will take either (or both) the set of emails known to WLM (i.e., those in the storage area set uo for WLM), and a set of EML files in another set of folders, and create an indexed archive of all of them.  The archive is not in EML format, so in case this solution has issues in the future (like the product becomes discontinued), I keep copies of all the EML files, but outside of WLM. Now, when I want to search for anything, I go to MailStore and search there. You can search by subject, sender, recipient, date, text in mail, and even text in attachments (you need to tell it the file types of the attachments to index before creating the index, but their menu makes recreating the index a very simple button push anytime you want. And the searches are FAST! I search through about 1 million mails and get results in about 5 seconds when there are a few thousand matches and less than a second when there are just a few matches.

    If the index becomes corrupt (which it hasn't), I can just rebuild it. Also, the archive is about 10% the size of the original eml files.  It seems to store the messages in another file format but sequentially, first 0001.dat then 0002.dat when the first is big enough, etc. This means the archive can be incrementally backed up quite easily and quickly. Also it automatically skips duplicate emails, which is great considering all the dupes I've got from every time WLM crashed and recovered mail into a new, inscrutable location.

    The only trick is how to incrementally add new emails to the archive. The Home version (the free version) can add to the index based on a folder name, but the steps involved seem cumbersome to me: move new emails periodically out of WLM to an external folder, delete the emails form WLM, then do the archive update.  If you don't have a lot of emails like I do, maybe you just keep everything in WLM and rebuild the archive once/day or once/week from the WLM folders, to at least have a better search tool (yes, inside the MailStore search results you can click open and reply/forward).

    What I'm doing, since this is for business and I have a lot of information worth archiving, is paying for the professional version (about $200) which includes a proxy server to move emails as they are sent and received into a new folder and then just add the new folder to the archive either via a scheduler or manually when I choose. 

    And no, I don't work for these guys. I started on this quest a month or so ago when a colleague told me I should switch to Outlook because WLM was not intended to handle the volume of email I have, and in looking into it discovered even industrial strength Outlook has all the same corruption problems as WLM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-04T14:49:14+00:00

    I also have suffered from what seems like indexing issues in Windows Live Mail WLM and have some additional information that may be useful.

    When using "Import" it appears problems are created or exacerbated by dragging or moving folder from "Imported Folders" to a higher location in Storage Folders. This is compounded over time because if you Import mail after a rebuild or disk crash or transfer to another computer, the folders will show multiple layers of Imported... - Storage... - Imported... - Storage... etc. even if they were actually dragged further up in the hierarchy.

    Symptoms / Failure Modes (not always predictable) include:

    • Clicking on any email in an imported folder displays a single email from that folder
    • Clicking on any email in an imported folder causes "An error has occurred" and the open fails, and
    • Emails in imported folder displays a different email from a different imported folder.

    I should mention that in some cases dragging folders from "Imported" to other locations works fine, but you can see the "memory" of multiple layers of importing if you delete the folder then go look in "Deleted Items" where it shows multiple layers of Storage... Imported... etc.

    One Solution - A way to break the chain and reliably Import into WLM

    As mentioned above the emails are intact and fine. Only the indexing is hosed. So it is possible to purge this unsavory behavior in this way:

    1. Make new folders in WLM with the same names as the old folders.
    2. In Windows Explorer locate your *.eml files (Folder names in Explorer will have the same first 7 or 8 characters as Folder names in WLM)
    3. Copy or Drag and drop the *.EML files into the newly created folder of the same name in WLM.

    At this point your mail will be "normal" and not subject to whatever is flaky in the Import process.

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments