How do I re-index Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail under Win 7?

Anonymous
2012-07-26T23:39:50+00:00

I paid Microsoft to have a Microsoft Tech fix my Live Mail,  and it still has lost its links to messages in the Storage folders.  The Microsoft Tech link does not work.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T23:22:54+00:00

    Only 4000 over 10 years? Consider yourself lucky. I must have about 500,000.

    This problem is not just that you can't see the email. You also can't move it (in WLM) or delete it. So if it is spam you're stuck with it.

    Here's what I've learned over the years about OE/WLM. For one, it gets worse as folders get filled up with too many messages. So it's a good idea to put them into subfolders, even if just by date. I have to create them for every 3 months as they get up to about 15,000 messages at that point.  I allow the current year to stay as one folder because it's a pain to have to search each quarter one at a time when I can't remember exactly when a message came in (or went out). That's one feature of OE I miss:searching a folder and its subfolders.

    So the next thing I do, also since WLM won't seem to search the text of mails, is move ALL my mails older than a year or two into a separate folder on my hard drive and tell Windows Search to index that folder. I retain the subfolder structure from WLM in that folder for consistency. So if I am looking for something recent I use WLM, and if it is older I open Windows Explorer, go to the old email folder, and run a much faster search over from, to, subject and text of message. Just remember to close the search window when you are done, as it uses a lot of windows resources while open even after the search is complete.  My extra old mail folder is about 30GB and it finds my results in less a minute. Your 4,000 emails will be fond in a few seconds at most I'd wager, and you can search on text. Which also negates some of the need to bother organizing the emails anyway since the search will do that for you.

    When I have a crash of any kind and WLM is open (which is nearly always), something will probably get corrupted in the index. When this first happened to me, I thought I had lost all my emails. Trying to recover them with various tools took weeks, and only recovered about 10% of them. So the only recourse I had was to convince myself I didn't need all those emails anyway, and move on with my life. About a month later, while poking around on my hard drive, I found all these other folders with weird names of random letters and digits, sometimes appended to my old folder names, sometimes not. The reason I hadn't noticed these is that they were deeply deeply embedded in my folder structure. It turned out WLM had recovered all the mails and made new folders for me. It just hadn't bothered to tell me about them! Also, I suspect it was doing the recover in the background while WLM was open for other things, and with the amount of mail I had, this process may have taken days or weeks. But they were there. Not always segregated the way I did, but that was secondary.

    Here's the solution: in WLM create a new folder, with no messages. Then, in Explorer, find the new folder that just got created, and the old folder with the bad index (this step might be VERY difficult because WLM creates deep trees). With WLM closed, simply copy the files from the old folder to the new one. Once it's done, reopen WLM and give it time to index the new folder (this can take a while if you have a lot of messages).  They will all show as unread, and the From will contain both the name and email. But otherwise, all will be fine after that.

    However, it may be that the bad messages don't show up in the new folder. This happens when the message is in the old index, but the file was already deleted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-20T14:51:19+00:00

    Ok, can someone please help.  Waiting weeks for each reply really slows this process down.  It is driving me crazy the problems I am having with Windows live mail, email export / import indexing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-20T10:58:24+00:00

    OK, so now that I have the same issue, where is the solution..?

    Issue: Within Storage folders,

    Messages Headers are no longer associated with their message files (though present).

    when a message is selected the reading pane has a message: Message Cannot be found. The content of this message cannot be found.

    If the a message is attempted to be opened, Error dialogue box:

    A problem occurred while trying to open this message. A problem has occurred. Please try again.

    How can I rebuild the message database so these messages (which are present) can actually be read by Windows Live Mail..?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-31T10:02:06+00:00

    This has no effect.

    It is quite contemptible that Microsoft does not supply a simple option, or an external utility, for rebuilding the index, which corrupts so easily.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-08-18T23:54:55+00:00

    Hi,

    What exactly are you trying to do? Are you having a problem locating the emails (stored in the Storage folder) to your Hard disk?

    To check the default path for the the emails, please go to [Options > Mail > Advance > Maintenance > Store folder].

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments