Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T01:11:58+00:00

    Is your computer on a domain?

    No, it is not on a domain, from what I know. It's a standalone PC. How can I verify this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T01:13:15+00:00

    You don't need to repeat reply in order to post your responses.  Use the same reply form.

    I asked, "Are you on a domain"

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770472(v=WS.10).aspx

    As for Fixit's, there are numerous fixits for numerous reasons.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T02:33:32+00:00

    Yes, I had no protection for a long time...

    Related references may include:

    Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected computer?

    http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275

    Do I need both Microsoft Security Essentials and another antivirus software program [e.g., AVG Free]?

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2010/09/08/do-i-need-both-microsoft-security-essentials-and-another-antivirus-software-program.aspx

    
    Chances are you're seeing the effects of an ongoing & longstanding hijackware infection!
    
    **OPTION A:** For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 800-MICROSOFT (800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]
    
    For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates (only!), visit the following Microsoft International Support website:
    [http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4](http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4)
    
    **OPTION B:** Residents of North America (US & CA), the UK (and perhaps other regions now) may obtain
    *Microsoft-sponsored* **Premium** (i.e., paid) **Support** via the Answer Desk =>
    [http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com](http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com/) [2]
    
    **OPTION C (Recommended):** See...
    
       • Cleaning a Compromised System  
    
          [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx](http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx)
    
    Then see the (my) ANSWER post in this thread and follow those instructions (*to-the-letter &in order!* ) to return your computer to a secure & functional state: [http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bc95f2f0-7968-4bd0-8de5-70b83db31fa6](http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bc95f2f0-7968-4bd0-8de5-70b83db31fa6)
    
    If you need additional assistance with the clean install of Win7, please begin your own, new thread in this forum:
    [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system](http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system)
    
    If these procedures are outside of your technical "comfort zone" - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the computer to a local, reputable and
    *independent* (i.e., not a "BigBoxStore" or the Geek Squad!) computer repair shop & let them do the work.
    
    **Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet *or any local networks* (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.**
    
    Wish I'd had better news for you.  Good luck!  Over & out...
    
    *I have nothing further to contribute to this discussion so I shall no longer monitoring this thread.*
    
    =================================================  
    
    [1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time
    
    [2] $99.00 USD for "up to 2 hours" of remote support; fee must be paid up front;
    *no guarantees whatsoever!*
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T13:28:13+00:00

    I have absolutely no strange symptoms of being hijacked. Furthermore I may have had AVG uninstalled, but I made sure I turned on the Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, MS Security Essentials AND I was patched with all those patches you asked me before.

    There is no sensitive banking data and stuff in my system, so the worst case senario would be to lose the non-backed-up data. But I am fully backed up.

    Finally, the first symptoms of being unable to update coincide with the suspicious period when my memory chips failed, which gave me a few blue screens, and I had them replaced. So we have a plausible alternative cause.

    In light of all the above, I don't think my PC is hijacked, and if it was, I am willing to take the risk. So can we please see how I can get my Windows Update tool back to working?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T18:12:03+00:00

    Have you used this repair tool?

    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

    Go here to see if you have the latest version of Windows Update

    If you go to the following Windows Update website before the Windows Update Agent is automatically installed, you are prompted to install it:

    Windows Update

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments