Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-29T17:47:14+00:00

    I thought it would be ungrateful of me to have people on hold when they are trying to help me!

    So I just logged in to let you know that I am travelling until early next week, and this is why I haven't come back to check your valuable suggestions.

    Thank you for being considerate.  We appreciate it.  Let us know the outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-29T19:15:47+00:00

    ...I just logged in to let you know that I am travelling until early next week.

    As long as you're not taking the Win7 computer along with you & no one else will be using it while you're away, fine.

    REPOSTING...

    The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state[i.e., without a fully-functional & fully-updated anti-virus appliation installed]. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-11T22:12:58+00:00

    -The tool for reading the blue screens ROCKS! Thanks a lot!

    -I had trouble finding my way with the other links you provided, until I realized that they are for Windows Server. I have Windows 7. Should I be able to find them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-11T22:26:52+00:00

    Back to the issue...

    1. , 2. Yes, I had no protection for a long time... After your suggestion I re-installed AVG 2013. Luckily I had no infections after the scan.
    2. Automatic updates were on, to the option of "Download but let me choose to install". Later I switched it to "Install Automatically". It doesn't help either.

    NEW INFO: When AVG need reboot for applying updates, it must be installing the serious pending windows updates too. Otherwise I cannot explain how the Update History has the following 3 new additions:


    Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.139.1835.0)

    Installation date: ‎11/‎11/‎2012 11:14 μμ

    Installation status: Successful

    Update type: Optional


    Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.139.1712.0)

    Installation date: ‎9/‎11/‎2012 1:04 μμ

    Installation status: Successful

    Update type: Optional


    Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.139.1543.0)

    Installation date: ‎7/‎11/‎2012 1:54 μμ

    Installation status: Successful

    Update type: Optional

    HOWEVER, I still cannot "check for updates". When I hit the button "Try again", I get the following:

    [Red-X-Shield image] Windows could not search for new updates

    An error occured while checking for

    new updates for your computer

    Error(s) found:

    Code 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

    Most recent check for updates: Never

    Updates were installed: 24/10/2012 at 2:49pm [linked:]View update history

    You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-11T23:35:53+00:00

    -The tool for reading the blue screens ROCKS! Thanks a lot!

    -I had trouble finding my way with the other links you provided, until I realized that they are for Windows Server. I have Windows 7. Should I be able to find them?

    Yes, Windows 7 -   It's Windows Server Update Service

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/08/14/wsus-clients-fail-to-update-with-error-code-0x80190194.aspx

    Older document regarding the error code

    If Automatic Updates version 2.2 is configured to use a server that is running Software Update Services, an error message that is similar to the following error message may be logged in the Windows Update.log file on the Automatic Updates 2.2 client computer:

    2002-06-21 12:53:54 17:53:54 Error IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from http://servername/autoupdatedrivers/getmanifest.asp (Error 0x80190194)

    You do not have to take any action to resolve this error. This is an expected error that does not indicate a problem.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326596?wa=wsignin1.0

    You might try this fixit

    Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941?wa=wsignin1.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments