Hello PA Bear, thanks for trying to help!
Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious]diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):
1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?
About 6 months ago. I've changed memory chips because the previous ones failed. This had caused a few BSODs back then, and a few ChckDsk s were needed so as to fix problems with the disk. Probably this contributed to the cause of today's problems, although
I think I've updated a couple of times since the last ChkDsk.
1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7,
or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?
Combination of preinstall and clean install. It was preinstalled on the normal HD, but then they added an SDD and they copied the installation from one disk to another at the store.
- What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and
when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?
Now nothing. I uninstalled AVG 2013 because I thought it was affecting the update. I can still see it under Programs and Features, but I guess it's because of the user settings that I decided not to be uninstalled.
- Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer
since you bought it?
None whatsoever (that I know of).
- Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
Didn't seem so, doesn't look like it.
- Are ALL of the following updates currently listed in View installed updates*(not Update History*)? ****** [1]
(a) KB2724197 check, KB2743555 check, KB2661254 check & KB2749655 check;
(b) KB2744842 check, KB2705219 check, KB2712808 check, KB2731847 check & KB2736233 check;
(c) KB2698365 check, KB2691442 check, KB2655992 check & KB2719985 check [or possibly KB2721691] no check, but previous applies;
(d) KB2685939 check & KB2686831 check;
(e) KB2604115 check, KB2658846 check, KB2660649 check, KB2676562 check, KB2688338 check, KB2690533 check & KB2656411 check & KB2644615 check.
Hope none of those has been damaged by the problems I mentioned under your first question though...
- Is Java Version 7 Update 9 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Yes, V7 U9.
- Is Adobe Flash Player v11.4.402.287 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) =>
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Yes, 11,4,402,287 installed
- Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?
Chrome is default. I almost prefer to throw away the pc than to have to change that! (permanently)
9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor;
TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer;
CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?
I used the AVG PC TuneUp ONCE. I've never used it since. Timing is suspicious, that's why I had selected to remove AVG 2013 alltogether. But I don't find TuneUp standing alone under Programs and Features. How do I remove the rest of it if there still is
anything left of it installed?
==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)