Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T01:08:31+00:00

    You might try this fixit

    Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941?wa=wsignin1.0

    I tried this FixIt, but it didn't work either. (I think I had tried it several times before, as I had said in my original first post, but I'm not sure if it is the same FixIt - Are there many?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T01:02:45+00:00

    Yes, Windows 7 -   It's Windows Server Update Service

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/08/14/wsus-clients-fail-to-update-with-error-code-0x80190194.aspx

    This link talks about an IIS Manager Console, which I don't know what it is.

    UPDATE: I found it in Administrative tools. But it is completely empty, and there is no Default directory or anything I can change inside.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T00:58:19+00:00

    Managing WSUS from the Command Line

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720466(v=WS.10).aspx

    It says I should find it there:

    %drive%\Program Files\Update Services\Tools folder

    But I don't have such a folder!

    There's no "Update Services" folder inside my Program Files

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-12T00:57:16+00:00

    This error code is repeated throughout your October 24th post.

    Error 0x80190194

    2012-10-24 22:05:22:541 1048 1fa4Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/windowsupdate/redir/muv4wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194

    The other error:

    SelfUpdate Failure Software SynchronizationWindows Update Client failed to detect with error 0x80070490.

    Is your computer on a domain?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-11T23:52:17+00:00

    I'm sorry, but i don't seem to have the subdirectories that your links point me to. Plus my error code is different than the ones I see in your quoted articles. You have me really confused!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments