Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-16T09:44:51+00:00

    Thank you for the suggestion. It ran for a few minutes and it said it repaired a few files. There were no files it was unable to repair. But I can still not perform an update...

    How about I try some of the previous fixes now that sfc corrected few parts of the system? eg do you think there's a chance that the "upgrade" method with the CD might work now?

    [below is a copy of the screen of CMD after running sfc]

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

    Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

    Beginning verification phase of system scan.

    Verification 100% complete.

    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired

    them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For

    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-15T18:23:53+00:00

    A repair of the system did not work.

    Try running sfc /scannow from a command prompt

    Start > Type CMD

    Right click on CMD and select Run As administrator

    Type sfc /scannow

    Note;  There is a space between sfc and /scannow

    Press Enter

    If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

    1. At an elevated command prompt, copy and then paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER:

    takeown /f

    For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll. 2. Copy and paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

    icacls /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

    For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F. 3. Copy and paste (or type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:

    Copy

    For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833#method3

    If still unsuccessful, you will have to perform a Complete Recovery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-15T17:53:09+00:00

    Yes, as I said in my update the first link later worked but without result.

    The second FixIt gives no result either.

    What else can I try?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-15T16:49:10+00:00

    The first link works fine for me.

    What browser are you using?

    This is the second link

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-14T14:32:19+00:00

    The first link leads me to an error page, and there's no link in the second ("Windows Update" at the end of your post).

    UPDATE: What the ****? Now the first link WORKS! I tried the FixIt tool. But no luck, again... I still cannot update.

    Below is the content of the error page from the first link (before, when the page didn't work):

    Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a customErrors tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This customErrors tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off". !-- Web.Config Configuration File -- configuration system.web customErrors mode="Off"/ /system.web /configuration

    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's customErrors configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL. !-- Web.Config Configuration File -- configuration system.web customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/ /system.web /configuration

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments