You're welcome.
I've seen Acronis recommended by some however, look through these. Check ratings and reviews.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.
What I have tried already:
I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.
TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.
THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...
I also tried:
FOUR. msert.EXE
FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and
SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64
NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!
What can I do?
***Update: 24/10/2012***
Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool... I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
You're welcome.
I've seen Acronis recommended by some however, look through these. Check ratings and reviews.
Thanks to all for your help...
After everything else failed, I decided to re-intall Windows and all my apps.
It takes a whole day or two, but afterwards you feel free.
Now I'm looking for a good complete system backup tool so that I don't need to go through it all again. Any ideas?
STOP: 0x0000001A (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
It indicates a general memory management problem.
In Case you have an Intel Westmere Processor on your unit:
STOP: 0x0000001a" error message on a computer that has an Intel Westmere processor together with the Hyper-V role installed on Windows Server 2008 or on Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981791?wa=wsignin1.0
Ntoskrnl.exe is an important system file for the Windows operating system. It contains the basic code needed to start and load the operating system. If this file gets deleted or becomes corrupted, a user will not be able to boot his computer until this file is replaced.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5085175_replace-ntoskrnlexe.html
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/MEMORY-MANAGEMENT-0x0000001A-*1041.html?order=votes
Use Memtest to check memory
Final Step: Perform a Complete Recovery if all fails
Edit: What are the error codes found in Windows Update when update fails?
Below are the texts of the four last blue screens on 12/9/2012.
That day I decided to do a memory test, which didn't pass.
I changed my memory chips and I have no more blue screens since then.
(But I cannot update)
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041201, 0xfffff68000058870, 0x888000b797ab1867,
0xfffffa801473b160)
*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002ecd1c0 base at 0xfffff80002e4e000 DateStamp
0x4fa390f3
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Ntfs.sys
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041790, 0xfffffa800a067a30, 0x000000000000ffff,
0x0000000000000000)
*** Ntfs.sys - Address 0xfffff880014ef990 base at 0xfffff8800144b000 DateStamp
0x4d79997b
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000005002, 0xfffff70001080000, 0x0000000000000547,
0x000005c2fffffffe)
*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002e951c0 base at 0xfffff80002e16000 DateStamp
0x4fa390f3
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041790, 0xfffffa8004c36fb0, 0x000000000000ffff,
0x0000000000000000)
*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002e9e1c0 base at 0xfffff80002e1f000 DateStamp
0x4fa390f3
Did you look into Event Viewer to find errors coinciding with your attempting to update again?
Post back error message with event ID #
Did you again receive the Windows Update Error Code 0x80070490?
Code 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
If everything continues to fail, perform a complete recovery of the system.