Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-29T17:35:15+00:00

    I thought it would be ungrateful of me to have people on hold when they are trying to help me!

    So I just logged in to let you know that I am travelling until early next week, and this is why I haven't come back to check your valuable suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-29T17:35:05+00:00

    I thought it would be ungrateful of me to have people on hold when they are trying to help me!

    So I just logged in to let you know that I am travelling until early next week, and this is why I haven't come back to check your valuable suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T23:54:15+00:00
    1. So neither AVG Free 2013 nor AVG Free 2012 have been installed since 16 October 2012 and you have not installed (or attempted to install) any other anti-virus application since then, is that correct?
    2. How long has the computer been connected to the internet since you uninstall AVG Free on 16 October 2012?  [See below]
    3. Is Automatic Updates still enabled (turned on)?
    
    COMMENTS: 
    
        • According to your previous reply, it would appear that Automatic Updates was still working OK as recently as 09 October 2012 if not later.
    
        • **The computer should NOT be connected to the internet *or any local networks* (i.e., other computers) in its current state**[i.e., without a fully-functional & fully-updated anti-virus appliation installed]**. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised. *Be exceedingly careful if the computer must be used online for very brief periods!***
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T23:35:12+00:00

    In future, if you ever see the BS again, go immediately to Event Viewer and look for the error

    When you attempted the repair, were there peripheral items still plugged into the pc?  printer, microphone, etc....

    Use this utility to read information stored in dump files

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

    Tips re: startup ...etc...

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7728/troubleshot-startup-problems-with-startup-repair-tool-in-windows-7-vista/

    Shows how to run WSUSUTIL RESET

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T23:07:40+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion, I wish I could understand all this talk in the link you gave me, but I don't.

    1. I opened the event viewer, but there are many entries there and I'm a little lost. could you give me some filters I could use? E.g. should I filter for "error" or for "critical"?

    Can Windows Server Update Services help me? I'm running Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments