Windows Update persistent Error Code 80070490

Anonymous
2012-10-24T11:11:54+00:00

Hello,

I am getting a persistent Error Code 80070490 everytime I try to use Windows Update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on an ASUS laptop model K93SV.

What I have tried already:

I tried both methods from here without success: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

ONE. Actually first when you click the above link, a window pops up and asks you if you want to use MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.22273728841374927.15.1.Run , which I tried and it didn't find any errors. No luck.

TWO. Then I tried method 1 (Checksur.exe) but after it finished successfully, I still couldn't update.

THREE. Then I tried the looooong method 2 (Upgrade with the CD - over 1 hour and a half). After most steps and one or two auto-reboots were completed, and when I thought it would finally fix it, the machine tried to reboot to apply everything, but while Windows were loading it gave the "blue screen of death", with a text saying something about "...STOP..." (couldn't read the rest of it that fast). After that it informed me that it could not repair and that it would roll back to my previous setup...

I also tried:

FOUR. msert.EXE

FIVE. windowsupdate.diagcab and

SIX. Windows6.1-KB947821-v24-x64

NOTHING OF THOSE 6 THINGS WORKS FOR ME!

What can I do?

***Update: 24/10/2012***

Today I saw the update icon on the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen). I clicked it, hit "Try Again" for the updates, but again I got the same error. Then I noticed that my "shut down" button had a yellow shield. When I clicked it, a bunch of updates was installed prior to complete shut down. Then I booted the machine, and more updates were installed before boot. Finally, when the machine booted, I could see those new updates in my "Update History", dated today 24/10, and the previous ones were dated 12/9, so I guess that for a month and a half I wasn't able to update Windows. However, I can still not search for new updates with the Windows Update tool...  I suppose this happens only when there are updates needing reboot? In any case, the problem remains, but I'm glad my PC is updated with today's most recent updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T17:28:36+00:00

    Do these 1 time

    Start >> type in cmd.exe & Right-click on cmd.exe & Select Run as Administrator    to get an elevated  command-prompt window  {with administrator-rights}

    In the Command-prompt-window  type in

    net stop wuauserv  <Enter-key>

    Go to Windows Explorer.

    Look on your system drive (usually C ) and look at the Windows folder name. Like Windows or WINNT.

      Modify following as appropriate.

    If your  Windows folder is C:\Windows. 

    Look at this folder

    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution*Download*    <<<--- this folder

    Delete all the contents of the Download folder.

    Back in the Command-prompt window and type in

    net start wuauserv <Enter-key>

    EXIT <Enter-key>

    Next,  See these references on the System Update Readiness Tool and run the SUR

    Have plenty of patience while it runs.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T16:25:43+00:00

    Thanks Maurice,

    No, I'm not good to go, because I have an icon in the taskbar that says "updates are available", and when I click "check for updates", I still get the error! So I still cannot update my Windows!

    About what you said earlier re restart, yes that's what i understood, and I replied that to the best of my knowledge these reboots due to updates hadn't been delayed in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T15:35:38+00:00

    If there are no failed updates today, then you are good to go.

    What I said earlier, the Windows Update process will when it is done, display summary messages.

    When you see that it shows a restart is required,  then just do it at that time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T15:17:44+00:00

    Hi Maurice,

    Re rebooting: I don't recall being prompted to reboot and postponing it for more than reasonable, but I cannot say for sure if more and more updates came (so as to create a conflict) within this "reasonable" timeframe. Are we sure this is due to a conflict? In any case, what should I do to fix it?

    Re today's updates: They're all "Successful". All 23 (or so) of them.

    Thank you for your interest to help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T15:01:14+00:00

    Rebooting (restart) when prompted by Windows Update (online) or by Automatic Updates is so important to do.  It greatly lessens the chances of conflicts !

    My point is to do it right then when prompted.  If need be, you close & save open documents as needed & just do it.

    Now, then, your last notation about today, leads me to ask IF there are failed updates TODAY ?

    To do that:

    Press Windows-key on keyboard, type in

    windows update

    in the search-box and press Enter.

    Then at the upper left, press on View Update history

    Locate each item marked as Failed in the Status column; right-click on it and click View details.

    Then write down and report here in Error Details the Code shown and the name of the update item.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments