Missing CD/DVD Drive for Windows 8 Professional

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:13:32+00:00

The CD/DVD Drive is detected in the BIOS Setup but when it boots to Windows the drive seemed to be missing and not working. Whenever I insert a media for playback it won't work. I did check under the Device Manager to troubleshoot the missing CD/DVD drive to no avail. Does anyone have encountered the same problem? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T09:17:42+00:00

Hi,

As I understand the issue, the CD\DVD drive is not recognized in windows explorer. I also see that CD\DVD drive is detected in BIOS.

Do you get any error message?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on the Left Bottom Corner (Start Menu).

b) Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

c) Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter.

d) Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

e) Reboot the system.

f) Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Method 2:

If the issue persists run hardware and troubleshooter and check.

a) Press “Windows Key + R”, type Control Panel.

b) Then type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

c) Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

d) Select “Hardware and Devices”.

**Method 3:**If the issue persists I would suggest you to follow these steps, uninstall and re-install the CD/DVD ROM drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Note: Download the drivers from the Manufacturer’s website and install it.a) Press Windows Key + R, **** type devmgmt.msc.b) Expand the CD/DVD ROM drivers, click on the drivers.c) Click on properties, click on uninstall tab.d) Click OK.e) Right-click on the driver executable/installer file**.f)** Click on Properties and select the Compatibility tab.g) Click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility modefor option and select Windows 7.h) In the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

Give this a go; I’m confident you will find what you need here. But if you face any further issue please reply back to this post and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-30T10:50:33+00:00

    Hi Todor,

    Thank you for sharing the suggestion, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

    **Important:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    Please feel free to reply, in case if you need any further assistance or information on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-13T15:46:08+00:00

    I had this exact same issue. Luckily I had a spare drive, because I thought my blue ray drive died. I put the dvd drive in and the same thing. Then I realized I just installed this arcsoft software that came with a camera I bought, the kodak playsport zx3. I tried uninstalling that software and voila! I got my drive back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-15T07:26:32+00:00

    Hi William,

    Glad to know you fixed the issue. Thank you for sharing the suggestion, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

    Please feel free to reply, in case if you need any further assistance or information on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T20:07:12+00:00

    How is a non tech person supposed to do this??? Stuck with no DVD/CD drive!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments