Missing CD/DVD Drive for Windows 8 Professional

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:13:32+00:00

The CD/DVD Drive is detected in the BIOS Setup but when it boots to Windows the drive seemed to be missing and not working. Whenever I insert a media for playback it won't work. I did check under the Device Manager to troubleshoot the missing CD/DVD drive to no avail. Does anyone have encountered the same problem? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T09:17:42+00:00

Hi,

As I understand the issue, the CD\DVD drive is not recognized in windows explorer. I also see that CD\DVD drive is detected in BIOS.

Do you get any error message?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on the Left Bottom Corner (Start Menu).

b) Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

c) Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter.

d) Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

e) Reboot the system.

f) Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Method 2:

If the issue persists run hardware and troubleshooter and check.

a) Press “Windows Key + R”, type Control Panel.

b) Then type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

c) Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

d) Select “Hardware and Devices”.

**Method 3:**If the issue persists I would suggest you to follow these steps, uninstall and re-install the CD/DVD ROM drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Note: Download the drivers from the Manufacturer’s website and install it.a) Press Windows Key + R, **** type devmgmt.msc.b) Expand the CD/DVD ROM drivers, click on the drivers.c) Click on properties, click on uninstall tab.d) Click OK.e) Right-click on the driver executable/installer file**.f)** Click on Properties and select the Compatibility tab.g) Click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility modefor option and select Windows 7.h) In the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

Give this a go; I’m confident you will find what you need here. But if you face any further issue please reply back to this post and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T20:25:19+00:00

    Hi,

    Can you check the following registry key?:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    At that registry key, in the right window, is there, under "Name", either an UpperFilters or LowerFilters value?

    If so, for each of the UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters value, what is listed under "Data"?

    Hi auggy

    Thank you for the tips. I have just realised that windows 8 has treated DVD drive differently from windows XP. While windows xp listed the DVD drive in windows explorer, windows 8 apparently does not display the DVD drive until you insert a CD/DVD into the drive.

    Thanks again.

    For the record, this is wrong! Windows displays the drive regardless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-20T12:35:14+00:00

    On 11/20/2014:

    I'm having the same issue and have not figured out the solution yet. However, for your information, I had just installed Windows 8.1 Pro. My DVD/CD-ROM drive worked fine after installing then disappeared a day later. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro again and my DVD/CD-ROM drive worked fine again, but only for another couple days and then disappeared. 

    When the DVD/CD-ROM was working for the day or two after installing Windows 8.1 my Device Manager had the following entry:

       >DVD/CD-ROM drives

             MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ230AS ATA Device

    When the DVD/CD-ROM is not working the entry above is no where to be found in the Device Manager. I am wondering if one of the Windows Updates, that is later installed, is causing our problem with the DVD/CD-ROM drive disappearing?

    My regedit entries under  {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} look fine and the entries do not change from when the DVD/CD-ROM is working and when it is becomes no longer visible.  

    UPDATE. On 11/22/2014:

    I found a solution that works on the Microsoft Support Page, when all of the other resolutions failed. Hopefully this will work for others too. The instructions were easy to follow; just do all the steps as posted.

    Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator.   

    To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:

    1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
    2. Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
    3. In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi 4. Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key. 5. Type Controller0, and then press Enter. 6. Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value . 7. Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter. 8. Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify.... 9. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK. 10. Exit Registry Editor. 11. Restart the computer.

    Note: Now my PC is 64-bit so I tried improvising on the above instructions by selecting the DWORD(64-bit value (vs. the 32-bit value indicated above), this did NOT work. I then tried following the instructions exactly as stated above and it worked. I  now have my CD-DVD-Blu-ray drive back.

    I found the above instructions  under "Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey" at the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

    Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T01:35:59+00:00

    My DVD drive worked until recently. I just tried using it, and though it spins up when you put in a disc, it never shows up in Explorer OR in Device Manager. I have tried all methods mentioned in this thread. upper filters/lower filters did not exist. Adding the Controller0 to the atapi registry key via command line executed successfully, but on restart, not only did it not see the drive, but (unlike previously) the drive didn't even spin up on startup. It still spins up when I insert a disc, but after several restarts (hot and cold) I still cannot see the drive, either from Explorer or in Device Manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments