Missing CD/DVD Drive for Windows 8 Professional

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:13:32+00:00

The CD/DVD Drive is detected in the BIOS Setup but when it boots to Windows the drive seemed to be missing and not working. Whenever I insert a media for playback it won't work. I did check under the Device Manager to troubleshoot the missing CD/DVD drive to no avail. Does anyone have encountered the same problem? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T09:17:42+00:00

Hi,

As I understand the issue, the CD\DVD drive is not recognized in windows explorer. I also see that CD\DVD drive is detected in BIOS.

Do you get any error message?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on the Left Bottom Corner (Start Menu).

b) Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

c) Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter.

d) Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

e) Reboot the system.

f) Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Method 2:

If the issue persists run hardware and troubleshooter and check.

a) Press “Windows Key + R”, type Control Panel.

b) Then type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

c) Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

d) Select “Hardware and Devices”.

**Method 3:**If the issue persists I would suggest you to follow these steps, uninstall and re-install the CD/DVD ROM drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Note: Download the drivers from the Manufacturer’s website and install it.a) Press Windows Key + R, **** type devmgmt.msc.b) Expand the CD/DVD ROM drivers, click on the drivers.c) Click on properties, click on uninstall tab.d) Click OK.e) Right-click on the driver executable/installer file**.f)** Click on Properties and select the Compatibility tab.g) Click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility modefor option and select Windows 7.h) In the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

Give this a go; I’m confident you will find what you need here. But if you face any further issue please reply back to this post and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T20:22:39+00:00

    Hi Bretterson89,

     If you have installed iTunes try installing the latest version of Gear drivers (4.020.5):

    http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.php

    iTunes uses the Gear software for CD/DVD burning so it may help to install the latest version of the Gear drivers.

    If you still have issues I would suggest to start a new topic on the issue to get better, individualized help.

    My Blu-Ray drive disappeared after getting an error trying to install itunes.  Installing these Gear drivers fixed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-11T09:53:38+00:00

    Hi Teressa,

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

    1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Which version of Windows are you using?

    Did you try the steps which I have suggested on October 30, 2012? If not please try those steps and check if it helps. Keep us updated on the status of the issue, I will be glad to help you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T21:02:29+00:00

    My dvd/cs is missing from device manager to

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T20:19:07+00:00

    Hi Audrey,

    Can you tell us the exact issue you are having with the DVD/CD drive ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments