Suddenly lost all my emails in Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2012-03-01T12:17:58+00:00

Question Summary

Other Windows Live Mail issues

Please provide your impacted Email address :

elaine_******@ntlworld.com

Did you receive an error code or message?

No

Please enter the error code or message you received

None

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3538.513)

Choose your Operating System version :

Windows 7

Additional Details

Opened Windows Live Mail yesterday afternoon and all my emails had 'disappeared'.  My Calendar, Feeds and Contacts were all in place.  I had not deleted anything.

I looked in the Recycle bin and found a huge 20mb (ish) file called 'MSMESSAGESTORE' which I restored although, at the time it told me the file already existed so it recovered it to a secondary location.

Now if I search for '.eml' files I find some or all of the emails under

C:\Users...........\Windows Live Mail\Storage(1)\Recovered items..............

I do not have a Hotmail account.

Please help me recover these emails.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-08T13:26:13+00:00

It seems that the moderators that responded do not understand the WLMail maintenance procedure and do not understand what it means to not have a Hotmail account.

[quote user=Maudestan]The only thing that happened was that as I 'Shut Down' the PC the message 'Recovering unused disk space' came up which happens every few weeks.[/quote]

When WLMail closes some housekeeping is performed.  You should always close WLMail several minutes before turning off the computer.

After 100 closes, unused disk space is recovered.  You can change the setting by going to Alt, F, O, M, Advanced tab, Maintenance button, ..........

I am not clear on the maintenance procedure.

My guess is that a copy of 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is placed in the recycle bin and 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is rebuilt.   The rebuilding process was stopped which created your problem.

Follow this procedure and see if you have recovered all of your emails.

1. You will first need to select the Show hidden files option.

a. Open Windows Explorer and click Organize / Folder and search options. Click the View Tab.

b. Place a check mark in the Show Hidden files, folders and drives option.

Click Apply/OK.

c. Close and restart Windows Explorer.

2. Open the WLM Store folder.

a. Navigate to the following folder.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

(Where 'your name' is the name of the account that you use to logon to Windows 7)

b. In this folder you will see all of the WLM storage folders. Each email account will have its own group of folders.

c. Any general storage folders that you created will under the main Storage Folders item.

3. Make a copy of the Windows Live Mail folders previous version.****

a. Right clickthe Windows Live Mail folder and select Properties / Previous Versions Tab.

b. After the list populates, select a version of the folder with a date and time prior to when the folders were deleted.

c. Click the Copy Button. In the Copy dialog box, select the Desktop as the location to place the copied folder.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-09T04:31:18+00:00

    Hi Gillyches,

    Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and we apologize for the delayed response.

    I understand you lost some of your mails and the storage folders. For us to determine what may have caused this, we’d like to ask the following;

    • Did you rename your account? If so, please provide the old and new account name with the estimated date and time you renamed it.

    Note: If you are unsure if you indeed renamed your account or just added an alias, you can check this article Use aliases to add email addresses to your account to confirm;

    • Did you try to close/deactivate the account before the issue occurred?    
    • When was the last time you logged into your account?
    • Did the data loss occur right after Outlook.com upgrade or was the data still there for a brief time?
    • Are you  seeing the missing mails on a mobile device or the web UI, or a mail client program
    • Please provide the account you’re having issues with.

    You can also check this article Restore deleted emails in Outlook.com to see if you can recover some of the emails;

    Here are the possible reasons why you can’t see emails:

    1. If your emails were over 365 days old, you may have lost them due to inactivity even before you rename the account.

    -         If your emails were over 365 days old, you may have lost them due to inactivity in the account even before you renamed the account. If you had Self-recovery of emails turned on in your account before renamed, you can try to recover some of the deleted messages yourself (Link to recover deleted messages is under DELETED folder), refer: Deleted email messages.

    -         If you were accessing your emails on a mail client such as Windows Live Mail or through your mobile device, but didn’t log into your web account for over 365 days, you may lose emails due to inactivity in web account.

    1. If your account was hacked and the hacker had already deleted emails in your account.
    2. If the feature Conversation Threading feature is turned on.  
    3. If you use Sweep to schedule a cleanup. 

    We look forward to your reply.

    Regards,

    Roland

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T23:00:22+00:00

    I agree. WHAT A WASTE. I am just trying to get some work done and WINDOWS SUCKED UP my whole day and lost ALL MY EMAILS. 

    I reluctantly tried Windows Live when I got this computer. I will NEVER use it again. It is for amateurs.

    Best advice I can ever give. NEVER UPDATE WINDOWS. If you computer is working fine. NEVER UPDATE IT - it is bound to mess up something. 

    And forget about all the threats about security risk. Ten years of using window and I have never had a security risk. But I have lost plenty of data from their updates.

    I would go MAC if I didn't have $5K of PC software. What a headache.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T10:42:34+00:00

    HELP!!!   HELP!!!!!  HELP!!!!!

    I've had a hotmail account for more years than I can count...15 - 20 years?

    For the first time ever, in the past 24-48 hours, I have been losing e-mails in moving them from my POP back to my inbox.

    I used to consider this new POP function in the deleted folder an annoyance, but now I consider it a problem.  I want it disabled.  It sweeps too often.  I used to put emails that appeared in my POP back into my inbox until I could address them, with no problems.  But, just recently, when I did this, they did not reappear.  Subsequently trying to recover deleted emails did not help.  They have just disappeared into oblivion.  Completely.

    I was able to find one or two in my apple mail since I knew what I was looking for, but the specifics of the others I cannot recall and in apple mail there are too many to go through.

    PLEASE HELP!!!   PLEASE DISABLE POP!!!!!!!   Please help me recover the lost emails in POP!!!   Thank you for your help!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T17:20:48+00:00

    It seems that the moderators that responded do not understand the WLMail maintenance procedure and do not understand what it means to not have a Hotmail account.

    After 100 closes, unused disk space is recovered.  You can change the setting by going to Alt, F, O, M, Advanced tab, Maintenance button, ..........

    I am not clear on the maintenance procedure.

    My guess is that a copy of 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is placed in the recycle bin and 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is rebuilt.   The rebuilding process was stopped which created your problem.

    Hello Ron,

    I have had this problem 3 times now. Fortunately, I have a back up to restore my emails from. I would like to stop Live Mail from recovering unused disk space. I followed your directions but when I go to the advanced tab there is no maintenance button. I do not know how to contact Microsoft directly and I am hoping you can help me further.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments