Suddenly lost all my emails in Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2012-03-01T12:17:58+00:00

Question Summary

Other Windows Live Mail issues

Please provide your impacted Email address :

elaine_******@ntlworld.com

Did you receive an error code or message?

No

Please enter the error code or message you received

None

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3538.513)

Choose your Operating System version :

Windows 7

Additional Details

Opened Windows Live Mail yesterday afternoon and all my emails had 'disappeared'.  My Calendar, Feeds and Contacts were all in place.  I had not deleted anything.

I looked in the Recycle bin and found a huge 20mb (ish) file called 'MSMESSAGESTORE' which I restored although, at the time it told me the file already existed so it recovered it to a secondary location.

Now if I search for '.eml' files I find some or all of the emails under

C:\Users...........\Windows Live Mail\Storage(1)\Recovered items..............

I do not have a Hotmail account.

Please help me recover these emails.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-08T13:26:13+00:00

It seems that the moderators that responded do not understand the WLMail maintenance procedure and do not understand what it means to not have a Hotmail account.

[quote user=Maudestan]The only thing that happened was that as I 'Shut Down' the PC the message 'Recovering unused disk space' came up which happens every few weeks.[/quote]

When WLMail closes some housekeeping is performed.  You should always close WLMail several minutes before turning off the computer.

After 100 closes, unused disk space is recovered.  You can change the setting by going to Alt, F, O, M, Advanced tab, Maintenance button, ..........

I am not clear on the maintenance procedure.

My guess is that a copy of 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is placed in the recycle bin and 'MSMESSAGESTORE' is rebuilt.   The rebuilding process was stopped which created your problem.

Follow this procedure and see if you have recovered all of your emails.

1. You will first need to select the Show hidden files option.

a. Open Windows Explorer and click Organize / Folder and search options. Click the View Tab.

b. Place a check mark in the Show Hidden files, folders and drives option.

Click Apply/OK.

c. Close and restart Windows Explorer.

2. Open the WLM Store folder.

a. Navigate to the following folder.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

(Where 'your name' is the name of the account that you use to logon to Windows 7)

b. In this folder you will see all of the WLM storage folders. Each email account will have its own group of folders.

c. Any general storage folders that you created will under the main Storage Folders item.

3. Make a copy of the Windows Live Mail folders previous version.****

a. Right clickthe Windows Live Mail folder and select Properties / Previous Versions Tab.

b. After the list populates, select a version of the folder with a date and time prior to when the folders were deleted.

c. Click the Copy Button. In the Copy dialog box, select the Desktop as the location to place the copied folder.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-04T09:53:25+00:00

    I've just lost all my emails, too, and the storage folders.  I switched on my email and got the message that the 'file' or 'location' (or similar) couldn't be found. The programme then seemed to load up and everything was empty!!!!  I have been able to find some emails by using search... but goodness knows where everything has gone. It's really frustrating and for the technicians not to know what has happened or how to recover these files properly is similarly frustrating!

    Gill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-02T23:28:06+00:00

    I SUFFERED THIS SAME PROBLEM TWO TIMES. I HAD TO RE-DOWNLOAD MY 10K MAILS FROM YAHOO SEVER EACH TIME. MS WLM DEVELOPERS: HERE IS THE CLUE: I 100% SURE THAT THIS PROBLEM WERE CAUSED BY WLM UPDATE. AT THE END, I HAD TO TURN OFF THE AUTO UPDATE FEATURE FOR WINDOWS LIVE.   FIRST TIER SUPPORT TEAM: PLEASE PASS THIS FEEDBACK TO THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM TO HELP THEM DIG OUT THE ROOT.   I THINK THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS A SUPER HIGH EMERGENCY ISSUE TO BE RESOLVED AS IT REALLY GIVES PEOPLE HEAD-ACHE. IT IS A BUG, COULD BE A SMALL BUG BUT ARE CAUSING BIG PROBLEM. P.S. I USED TO BE A DEVELOPER ON A SYSTEM MAINTENANCE TEAM.  I USED UPPER CASE, JUST WANTED TO GET YOU GUYS ATTENTION.  THANK YOU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-11T19:55:00+00:00

    I too have lost all of my emails on Windows Live Mail this am.

    I am not very computer savvy, so some of the solutions seem beyond me.

    Can anyone just tell us why this happens and what we can do "simply" to avoid it the next time?

    This is very annoying to say the least!

    Sharron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-13T13:32:17+00:00

    I use WLM 2012 and have lost the entire Gmail account when I started WLM today.

    This is the second time this has occurred. I have 2 Hotmail accounts and 2 Gmail accounts linked in WLM.

    My solution was to re-establish the lost Gmail account.After doing this all e-mails were returned to WLM.

    The Gmail account that was lost was the default account.

    I hope this helps is finding a solution to the WLM problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments