No Sound When I Plug In Headphones After Windows 8 Download

Anonymous
2012-10-28T03:23:59+00:00

When I play a sound through the speakers, I can hear it perfectly. However, when I  plug in my earphones, I cannot hear anything. What do I do to fix this problem?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-19T14:03:13+00:00

I had the same problem, I solved it by disabling the Fast Startup functionality in Control Panel:

  1. Go to Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power buttons do
  2. Uncheck Turn on fast startup
  3. Perform full shutdown by calling the shutdown /s /t 0 in console or create shortcut with this command and run it
  4. Turn on the computer, now the headphones should work ok :)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T17:40:20+00:00

Hi FlatbushPush718,

Thank you for posting, I understand that your headphones are not working on your windows 8 computer.

Note: Please check if the headphones you are trying to use is working on any other audio devices.

Incase if the headphones are working on the other devices

you may try the following steps in order to resolve this issue.

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

  1. On the start screen of windows 8 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.
  2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
  3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
  4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
  5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Check if the headphones work now, In-case if you are still facing issues please reply with more details about the make of headphones for further assistance.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-27T11:35:26+00:00

    IS not working at all. I also try out keroppi637 suggestion, no option is working fine. Can Windows 8 developer team fix this bug as soon as possible? This is quite annoying and it doesnt seems like a single user issues, it is affecting Windows 8 users particularly.

    I even try out installing Realtek driver, it does not work either.

    I realise that Windows 8 has already patched the bug here. So i think this thread can be closed.

    Once you have windows update on your windows 8, try update it. I believe this will solve the "current common bug" issue that we have here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-03T00:21:58+00:00

    Thanks man!, it's solve my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T18:44:15+00:00

    I had the same problem, I solved it by disabling the Fast Startup functionality in Control Panel:

    1. Go to Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power buttons do
    2. Uncheck Turn on fast startup
    3. Perform full shutdown by calling the shutdown /s /t 0 in console or create shortcut with this command and run it
    4. Turn on the computer, now the headphones should work ok :)

    This really WORK!!  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments