No Sound When I Plug In Headphones After Windows 8 Download

Anonymous
2012-10-28T03:23:59+00:00

When I play a sound through the speakers, I can hear it perfectly. However, when I  plug in my earphones, I cannot hear anything. What do I do to fix this problem?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-19T14:03:13+00:00

I had the same problem, I solved it by disabling the Fast Startup functionality in Control Panel:

  1. Go to Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power buttons do
  2. Uncheck Turn on fast startup
  3. Perform full shutdown by calling the shutdown /s /t 0 in console or create shortcut with this command and run it
  4. Turn on the computer, now the headphones should work ok :)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T17:40:20+00:00

Hi FlatbushPush718,

Thank you for posting, I understand that your headphones are not working on your windows 8 computer.

Note: Please check if the headphones you are trying to use is working on any other audio devices.

Incase if the headphones are working on the other devices

you may try the following steps in order to resolve this issue.

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

  1. On the start screen of windows 8 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.
  2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
  3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
  4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
  5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Check if the headphones work now, In-case if you are still facing issues please reply with more details about the make of headphones for further assistance.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-27T14:37:52+00:00

    With Windows 10:

    I have not read all the replies, but tried many.  For me, what worked was to go to the "sound" control panel, after plugging in my standard 3 pin type headphones or earplugs (i.e.: normal 1/8 inch stereo plug), and select "headphones" (not headset) and then make "headphones" the "default" playback device (select "set default").  This sends sound to the headphones and turns off sound to the speakers.  Apparently, this control panel interprets how the computer "reads" info from the different plug types from different sound playback devices (3-pin headphone/ear plug; 4-pin headset with microphone; , etc.)  Hope this helps somebody.

    --Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-04T15:13:57+00:00

    I found that turning the power saving mode off in the Realtek I2S Audio Codec Properties worked. Go to Control Panel/Device Manager/Sound, Video.../Realtek I2S audio Codec (Properties)/ Power Management: uncheck "allow the computer to turn this device off). This worked for me. Hope it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-23T14:20:28+00:00

    Hi, I have had exactly the same problem.  I followed your advice and now the  headphones work, but when I pull the audio cable out of the headphone jack, the laptop speakers don't work.  They should work of course when the headphones are removed from the jack.  Thanks for any help as I do not want to readjust the settings every time I use the headphone jack.

    Hi Courier(2),

    Is your problem solved? If so please provide me the solution. I am also facing same issue. I tried many possibilities but none solved mine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments