No Sound When I Plug In Headphones After Windows 8 Download

Anonymous
2012-10-28T03:23:59+00:00

When I play a sound through the speakers, I can hear it perfectly. However, when I  plug in my earphones, I cannot hear anything. What do I do to fix this problem?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-19T14:03:13+00:00

I had the same problem, I solved it by disabling the Fast Startup functionality in Control Panel:

  1. Go to Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power buttons do
  2. Uncheck Turn on fast startup
  3. Perform full shutdown by calling the shutdown /s /t 0 in console or create shortcut with this command and run it
  4. Turn on the computer, now the headphones should work ok :)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T17:40:20+00:00

Hi FlatbushPush718,

Thank you for posting, I understand that your headphones are not working on your windows 8 computer.

Note: Please check if the headphones you are trying to use is working on any other audio devices.

Incase if the headphones are working on the other devices

you may try the following steps in order to resolve this issue.

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

  1. On the start screen of windows 8 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.
  2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
  3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
  4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
  5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Check if the headphones work now, In-case if you are still facing issues please reply with more details about the make of headphones for further assistance.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-02T15:26:35+00:00

    I have the exact same issue. Can someone help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-22T13:48:43+00:00

    It's been nearly three years since this problem started after "upgrading" to Windows 8 and I still cannot get the headphones to work when I put the headphone cord into the jack.  I have to manually switch the audio device from speakers to headphones.

    I also noticed that Win 8 now incorrectly states that the audio jack is located in the "rear" of my Compaq laptop -- not the front -- where it actually is.  Anyone have any idea if this could be causing the problem?

    Thanks for any help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-06T23:36:57+00:00

    Thanks man, thats working. I had the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments