Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Anonymous
2012-11-22T18:35:01+00:00

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-18T00:05:04+00:00

    Hey,

    In "inne urzadzenia" ("other device") is a "nieznane urzadzenie" ("unknown device") and I have no idea what it is. I don't have connected my external blu-ray drive at the moment and in the Device Manager is still the unknown device. When I have checked the unknown devicie "details" -> "properties" -> "is it connectecd" i got information <prawda> (<true>). I'm not a computer genius, but I think it's a other device.

    I have 8 of those catalogs! And the only cd/dvd/br drives I got connceted to my computer is the built-in cd/dvd drive (which is still working) and the external blu-ray drive. Is it possible that it have somehow multiply?

    Print screen of the information I got form the catalogs (ale from "0000" to "0008" give the same information:

    ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/133a3525-da48-4791-b8e3-2f92f2891c97?platform=QnA)

    I don't know how to resolve this problem :(. At the weekend I will be at my friends house, I want to try connect my blu-ray drive to his computer and see, what kind of information he will get in the Device Manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-18T05:27:14+00:00

    Hi,

    I would delete 0001 through 0008 and reboot...

    I would then UNINSTALL the Unknown device and reboot again and see what happens...

    Sorry about the late reply... It appeared in my email, but not on the forum for some reason, and I couldn't reply... It just recently appeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T06:52:29+00:00

    Hey,

    I'm working on Windows 8.1 64-bits and have an external ASUS Blu-ray Writer (SBW-06D2X-U). Did all steps you have been giving guys:

    • added as an administrator in cmd "reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001"
    • added as an administrator in cmd "reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002"
    • uninstaled Cyberlink Power2Go7
    • tried https://support.microsoft.com/pl-pl/mats/cd\_dvd\_drive\_problems
    • even desperately tried this way:
    1. Shut down PC.
    2. Physically disconnect the Blu-Ray Drive.
    3. Reboot to Windows with NO Blu-Ray drive.
    4. Shut down PC.
    5. Physically reconnect the Blu-Ray Drive.
    6. Reboot to Windows with Blu-Ray drive.

    still my computer doesn't see the external cd/dvd/br writer/reader.

    Do you have any thoughts :(?

    Regards,

    Solo-ny

    P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

     So does this fix work with Windows 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T20:37:22+00:00

    While I have not had a problem with an external USB ASUS DVD Writer in Windows 8,8.1, and 10, I still have no working internal optical drives after all of the help and tips posted here. I am weary of going and buying a new optical drive in fear that Windows will break it too.

    On a side but very important note. I am glad that most of the software companies are going to download options with security keys for those of us with broken optical drives thanks to Microsoft not fixing this issue for years now. And before anyone says anything to support Microsoft in this issue, all of my internal optical drives (2 drives in each of our home machines for a total of 8 drives) worked fine with Windows 7 and previous versions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T21:23:07+00:00

    Hi,

    It is somewhat common that a cd\dvd drive fails to show up after a upgrade to Win 8, 8.1, or 10... It is extremely unlikely that the drive is physically "Broken"...

    There is simply a setting somewhere that had\has a glitch... The problem is that there are a number of different possible "Glitches"...

    What fixes the problem for one person, may not fix the problem for someone else...

    For Instance... Toshiba has one or two programs that are installed by Toshiba to Create Recovery Media... After a upgrade to a newer version of windows, these programs cause the cd\dvd drives to not appear, and need to be uninstalled..

    They are somehow locked in to the old version...

    This effects no one else... just Toshiba... However, there are similar issues everywhere...

    It makes it much easier to troubleshoot with adequate information... Like does the drive appear in Device Manager ?

    Does it appear in ThisPC ?

    Depending where it does not appear, somewhat dictates what to look for...

    Running a regedit to add a CD\DVD drive doesn't help much if the drive is already in Device Manager... If it is in Device Manager, but not ThisPC, that is a entirely different problem..

    Then there is the issue of iTunes... because of some of iTunes burning features, it can cause a cd\dvd drive to not function after a upgrade...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments