I tried the uninstall method and it did not help. I looked for the drive in registry and tried to apply permissions to read and get full access and a combination of the two, and was denied by windows security. I really find it frustrating that Windows broke the ability to use my perfectly good optical drive. Shame on you Microsoft.
Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive
Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver. I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.
The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8. I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.
Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-01-24T21:26:46+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-02-06T17:14:14+00:00 I had a similar issue and was able to partially fix it by using creating a registry subkey (see Solution 5 following the link below):
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
However, only one of my drives was recognized and the other one (a BluRay rom drive) is not even showing in Device Manager (prior to trying I was receiving an error message there were registry issues with both drives). I was wondering if I need to create another registry subkey in order to add the other (i.e., BluRay) drive or if there is anything else I have to do. I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Best,
Nielsen Pereira
-
Anonymous
2014-02-06T17:35:01+00:00 Hello,
Try this.... If it appears similar to what you have already done... Just do the one ending with 2
- Run cmd as Administrator (right click lower left corner when Start pops up)
- Type: or copy and paste
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Hit Enter
- Type: or copy and paste
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002
- Hit Enter
- Reboot
-
Anonymous
2014-07-22T04:14:10+00:00 Hi,
First, try this from another post....
- Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter, or right click on lower left corner when Start pops up.
- Type or copy\paste the following and hit enter
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Reboot the system
Second, if this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to uninstall PowerDVD to get your drive to work...there are sometimes issues. Once you get the drive to work you could try reinstalling it.
PowerDVD pretty much disabled my Virtual CD\DVD drive, and I had uninstall it.
It worked! Thank you so much!
-
Anonymous
2014-08-29T05:10:07+00:00 I have been through several discussion about an issue with windows 8 out of which the DVD /CD drives no longer get detected. well here is some explanation to it and a way to make it work if it is not working as expected.
Zero Power Optical Disk Drive
Zero Power Optical Disk Drive (Zero Power ODD or ZPODD) is one of many new Windows 8 features introduced for power efficiency. On a system enabled with ZPODD, when Windows 8 detects that there is no media in an optical drive, power to the optical drive is cut off. As soon as the user attempts to use the optical drive, power to the optical drive automatically resumes and the user will be able to use the optical drive immediately, unaware that the power to the device was ever turned off. Everything happens in the background and normal user interaction is not affected. ZPODD applies only to optical drives that use the slimline SATA connector and is typically found on laptops. Some servers and desktops also use a slimline SATA connector for optical drives.
In order for ZPODD to work, the ZPODD feature must be supported by the optical drive, the motherboard, and the BIOS.
In some cases even after inserting a Disk in the drive, the drive icon still doesn't show up. you may follow the steps below to make that work.
- Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Directly type cmdin the new Start Screen(a.k.a Windows 8 Metro UI) and press cltr+shift+enter.
Now copy the following , right click command prompt and select paste and the Enter.
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
2.Reboot the system
3.Verify if the problem has been resolved.
Regards,
Manish Kumar
Thank you!!! I just realized I had this problem and after some searching, ran across this fix and your post did it! When I went to use my BD-RW drive it wasn't there on 8.1. Now since I found this post, I did exactly what you said and it's back.
Thanks again.