Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Anonymous
2012-11-22T18:35:01+00:00

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-04T06:10:25+00:00

    Hello Again,

    Nero shouldn't be a problem, but the PowerDVD more than likely is.

    The only way to kow for sure is to uninstall it. Even better would be a backup image from before it was installed, if available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-04T03:55:04+00:00

    I tried the regedit string from the elevated command prompt.  The command was accepted but it didn't change the situation as far as I can see.  I do have CyberLink PowerDVD 11 installed.  I don't have Roxio installed but I do have Nero 12.

    I haven't pulled the cover off to swap SATA cables yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-02T17:05:51+00:00

    Hi,

    This isn't a driver problem...there are various issues with Win 8, some types of software, and problems with some Toshiba machines.

    To the best of my knowledge, none of the issues are driver related.

    Try the Reg edit in a previouse reply, and possibly trying a different SATA plug as mentioned.

    Does the drive showup in Device Manager, or Disk Mnagement?

    Are you running any type of Roxio, Sonic, or CyberLink software ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-02T14:56:11+00:00

    Yes, I did forget to include the "B" to indicate the drive is Blu-ray.  As you indicated, there are no drivers available.  This is strange, since at one point several years ago, I completed a firmware upgrade using the software I downloaded from the Samsung site.

    The BIOS sees the drive.  If I enter setup during boot, I can see the drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-27T05:39:39+00:00

    Hi,

    First, try this from another post....

    1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter, or right click on lower left corner when Start pops up.
    2. Type or copy\paste the following and hit enter

    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

    1. Reboot the system

    Second, if this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to uninstall PowerDVD to get your drive to work...there are sometimes issues. Once you get the drive to work you could try reinstalling it.

    PowerDVD pretty much disabled my Virtual CD\DVD drive, and I had uninstall it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments