Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Anonymous
2012-11-22T18:35:01+00:00

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T21:57:05+00:00

    Hi Bennet,

    I've seen this post quite many times and in my case nothing is working. I got an Asus N53SN and I upgrade it to windows 8 in January. I've been trying to make the optical drive working but nothing. In my case the Blu-ray drive is recognize but doesn't read any disk I put in it. Including Blu-ray's, DVD's and even CD's. I've try updating drivers but still can't get it to work. I've downgraded windows back to windows 7 just to make sure the drive was working properly and it was. Have any ideas.

    Regards,

    Louis Ouellet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T21:56:31+00:00

    Hi Manish,

    I've seen this post quite many times and in my case nothing is working. I got an Asus N53SN and I upgrade it to windows 8 in January. I've been trying to make the optical drive working but nothing. In my case the Blu-ray drive is recognize but doesn't read any disk I put in it. Including Blu-ray's, DVD's and even CD's. I've try updating drivers but still can't get it to work. I've downgraded windows back to windows 7 just to make sure the drive was working properly and it was. Have any ideas.

    Regards,

    Louis Ouellet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-16T02:40:47+00:00

    What about the "B" referred to in your earlier post?  Does it belong in this string?  Where?  Can you repost the string with the "B" . 

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-24T08:35:26+00:00

    I have been through several discussion about an issue with windows 8 out of which the DVD /CD drives no longer get detected. well here is some explanation to it and a way to make it work if it is not working as expected.

    Zero Power Optical Disk Drive

    Zero Power Optical Disk Drive (Zero Power ODD or ZPODD) is one of many new Windows 8 features introduced for power efficiency. On a system enabled with ZPODD, when Windows 8 detects that there is no media in an optical drive, power to the optical drive is cut off. As soon as the user attempts to use the optical drive, power to the optical drive automatically resumes and the user will be able to use the optical drive immediately, unaware that the power to the device was ever turned off. Everything happens in the background and normal user interaction is not affected. ZPODD applies only to optical drives that use the slimline SATA connector and is typically found on laptops. Some servers and desktops also use a slimline SATA connector for optical drives.

    In order for ZPODD to work, the ZPODD feature must be supported by the optical drive, the motherboard, and the BIOS.

    In some cases even after inserting a Disk in the drive, the drive icon still doesn't show up. you may follow the steps below to make that work.

    1. Run Command Prompt as an  Administrator. Directly type cmdin the new Start Screen(a.k.a Windows 8 Metro UI) and press cltr+shift+enter.

    Now copy the following , right click command prompt and select paste and the Enter.

    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

    2.Reboot the system

    3.Verify if the problem has been resolved.

    Regards,

    Manish Kumar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-12-05T04:51:04+00:00

    I now am able to see my BD-ROM drive and can use it for recording, playback, etc.  I wish I could say conclusively that the regedit feature did the trick, but I can't.  I didn't uninstall Nero or PowerDVD.  I was working with Acronis Disk Director on some drive partitions and had to move between my dual boots of Win 7 and Win 8.  After doing some things on the Win 7 side of my machine and returning to Win 8, the drive is now active. 

    Thanks for the help, in any event.  I'm grateful that there are knowledgeable people out there who are willing to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments