Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Anonymous
2012-11-22T18:35:01+00:00

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T01:25:04+00:00

    Hi,

    Sorry for so long not writing, but my mailbox automatically decided to send all answers from Microsoft page to spam catalog, and I figure it out 10 minutes ago.

    I will try the steps you had wrote above, but not in this weekend (I have job and can't risk not having computer this time).

    Do you know if I made the system recovery (the one build in the windows), if it will, after unistalling the 0001-0008 and the unknown device, eventually get it back to the point where those things still exist on system?

    Best Regards

    P.S. Printscreen from my friends computer I promised - there my drive is seen:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T23:17:25+00:00

    Hi,

    Take a look at this suggestion by "Auggy" from another thread...

    Sometimes having "exclusive mode" enabled "blocks" the audio CD so try disabling "exclusive mode":

    Right-click the speaker icon in the Notification area of the Taskbar > Playback devices > click on "Speakers" under the Playback tab > Properties > Advanced > then remove the checkmark in front of "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" > OK...

    You can also take a look in the registry for UPPER and LOWER FILTERS at this key...

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

    The filters will be listed on the right side after clinking on the key...

    Anything listed there is a potential problem, but all filters don't cause a problem...only some...

    Deleting the filter will usually fix the problem, but may cause one of your programs to not work properly... You can usually do a Bing or Google search for the file in the filter, and identify which program it goes with...

    Then try updating the program... As a last resort, delete it...

    There have also been instances when it was necessary to right click on the CD\DVD drive in Device manager and Uninstall...

    In addition, there have been instances when it was necessary to right click on the SATA Controllers under IDE ATA /Atapi Controllers, and uninstall them as well, then restart...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T21:55:11+00:00

    All of my optical drives show in device manager and the This PC tab, but they do not respond no matter what media I have inserted, from games, and music to even Windows Install disks. When I double click the optical drive, it seems to run for a while and I see a loading bar running across the top of the This PC dialog but after about 2 minutes, the drawer ejects and the computer says insert media. It does not matter which of my internal optical drives I've installed, I get the same issue every time. The optical drives in question are all using the SATA interface on the MOBO's. One thing I have not tried and just thought of is I have an adapter to hook up to the drive and its self powered (I bought it to save data for my customers who have dead PC's and just want media recovered, and it uses USB. I will check if the optical drives will work that way and get back to the community this weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T21:23:07+00:00

    Hi,

    It is somewhat common that a cd\dvd drive fails to show up after a upgrade to Win 8, 8.1, or 10... It is extremely unlikely that the drive is physically "Broken"...

    There is simply a setting somewhere that had\has a glitch... The problem is that there are a number of different possible "Glitches"...

    What fixes the problem for one person, may not fix the problem for someone else...

    For Instance... Toshiba has one or two programs that are installed by Toshiba to Create Recovery Media... After a upgrade to a newer version of windows, these programs cause the cd\dvd drives to not appear, and need to be uninstalled..

    They are somehow locked in to the old version...

    This effects no one else... just Toshiba... However, there are similar issues everywhere...

    It makes it much easier to troubleshoot with adequate information... Like does the drive appear in Device Manager ?

    Does it appear in ThisPC ?

    Depending where it does not appear, somewhat dictates what to look for...

    Running a regedit to add a CD\DVD drive doesn't help much if the drive is already in Device Manager... If it is in Device Manager, but not ThisPC, that is a entirely different problem..

    Then there is the issue of iTunes... because of some of iTunes burning features, it can cause a cd\dvd drive to not function after a upgrade...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T20:37:22+00:00

    While I have not had a problem with an external USB ASUS DVD Writer in Windows 8,8.1, and 10, I still have no working internal optical drives after all of the help and tips posted here. I am weary of going and buying a new optical drive in fear that Windows will break it too.

    On a side but very important note. I am glad that most of the software companies are going to download options with security keys for those of us with broken optical drives thanks to Microsoft not fixing this issue for years now. And before anyone says anything to support Microsoft in this issue, all of my internal optical drives (2 drives in each of our home machines for a total of 8 drives) worked fine with Windows 7 and previous versions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments