Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Anonymous
2012-11-22T18:35:01+00:00

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-22T04:14:10+00:00

    Hi,

    First, try this from another post....

    1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter, or right click on lower left corner when Start pops up.
    2. Type or copy\paste the following and hit enter

    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

    1. Reboot the system

    Second, if this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to uninstall PowerDVD to get your drive to work...there are sometimes issues. Once you get the drive to work you could try reinstalling it.

    PowerDVD pretty much disabled my Virtual CD\DVD drive, and I had uninstall it.

    It worked! Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T17:35:01+00:00

    Hello,

    Try this.... If it appears similar to what you have already done... Just do the one ending with 2

    1. Run cmd as Administrator (right click lower left corner when Start pops up)
    2. Type: or copy and paste

    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

    1. Hit Enter
    2. Type: or copy and paste

    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002

    1. Hit Enter
    2. Reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T17:14:14+00:00

    I had a similar issue and was able to partially fix it by using creating a registry subkey (see Solution 5 following the link below):

    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

    However, only one of my drives was recognized and the other one (a BluRay rom drive) is not even showing in Device Manager (prior to trying I was receiving an error message there were registry issues with both drives). I was wondering if I need to create another registry subkey in order to add the other (i.e., BluRay) drive or if there is anything else I have to do. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

    Best,

    Nielsen Pereira

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-24T21:26:46+00:00

    I tried the uninstall method and it did not help. I looked for the drive in registry and tried to apply permissions to read and get full access and a combination of the two,  and was denied by windows security. I really find it frustrating that Windows broke the ability to use my perfectly good optical drive. Shame on you Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T16:25:40+00:00

    Hi,

    Do you have iTunes or PowerDVD ? 

    You might try checking the Permissions for the drive to make sure something weird didn't happen.

    Try going to Device Manager, right click on the drive, select Uninstall, and reboot...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments