Windows Installer and Error Codes 641 & 80070641 Issues

Anonymous
2012-05-16T06:52:39+00:00

something has happened to the windows installer on my computer. I have vista home premium 32 bit. I tried searching your site to download the installer but I could not find anything. I tried installing Java and it said it couldnt because the windows installer could not be accessed. and I have been trying to install some windows updates and keep getting error message codes 640 & 80070641. everything was working up until a few days ago when I tried updating nothing has been downloaded to my computer prior to errors.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-05-23T08:09:09+00:00

Hi John and Kathy,

In addition to Ravinath P suggestion dated on May 21, 2012, you may also follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to perform the following steps to rebuild the windows installer service.

Note: To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (*http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/* )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

a. Open Notepad.

b. Copy the following command to notepad and save it asreset.regon to your desktop.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver]

"DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\msimsg.dll,-27"

*"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,*

*74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,*

00,73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,20,00,2f,00,56,00,00,00

"Description"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\msimsg.dll,-32"

"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"Start"=dword:00000003

"Type"=dword:00000010

"DependOnService"=hex(7):72,00,70,00,63,00,73,00,73,00,00,00,00,00

"ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001

*"RequiredPrivileges"=hex(7):53,00,65,00,54,00,63,00,62,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,*

*00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,*

*74,00,65,00,50,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,66,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,*

*00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,*

*6b,00,4d,00,65,00,6d,00,6f,00,72,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,*

*00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,*

*73,00,65,00,42,00,61,00,73,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,6f,00,72,00,69,00,74,*

*00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,*

*65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,65,00,72,00,6d,00,61,00,6e,*

*00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,*

*00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,75,00,64,00,69,00,74,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,*

*00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,53,00,65,00,63,00,75,00,72,00,*

*69,00,74,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,*

*00,53,00,65,00,43,00,68,00,61,00,6e,00,67,00,65,00,4e,00,6f,00,74,00,69,00,*

*66,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,*

*00,65,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,66,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,53,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,*

*6c,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,*

*00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6d,00,70,00,65,00,*

*72,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,*

*00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,*

*47,00,6c,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,6c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,*

*00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,73,00,73,00,69,00,67,00,6e,00,50,00,*

*72,00,69,00,6d,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,54,00,6f,00,6b,00,65,00,6e,00,50,00,72,*

*00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,52,00,65,00,*

*73,00,74,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,*

*00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,73,00,65,00,*

*51,00,75,00,6f,00,74,00,61,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,*

*00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,53,00,68,00,75,00,74,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,6e,00,*

*50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,54,*

*00,61,00,6b,00,65,00,4f,00,77,00,6e,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,68,00,69,00,70,00,*

*50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,4c,*

*00,6f,00,61,00,64,00,44,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,*

*76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,42,00,61,00,63,00,6b,*

*00,75,00,70,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,*

00,00

*"FailureActions"=hex:84,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00,*

00,01,00,00,00,c0,d4,01,00,01,00,00,00,e0,93,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

c. Click on Start.

d. Type regedit in the Start Search field and hit enter.

e. On the registry edit windows click onFile and select Import.

f. Browse to the location where reset.reg file is located and select the file.

g. Click ok at the on-screen windows once the registry is merged successfully.

h. Restart the computer and check if updates installs.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-03T04:37:32+00:00

    Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

    
    If you need further assistance, please begin your own, new thread in the appropriate forum to avoid confusion. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP2; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 SP1; Win7 64-bit;
     Win7 64-bit SP1) in your first post. Thank you.
    
    See...
    
        HOW TO begin your own, new thread about *your* computer & *your* problem  
    
        [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Page/faq#faqGettingAnswers5](http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Page/faq#faqGettingAnswers5)
    
    ...*but if System Mechanic is installed, contact IOlo Support instead!*
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-03T04:22:34+00:00

    Where can I find  "View installed updates"? I clicked on "View Update History" to see what were successfully updated. I am now confused and hope you can help. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-03T03:46:37+00:00

    ...all those updates were installed successfully in the history. I installed updates, successfully,  restarted, and those updates shown up again and again.

    If the updates are NOT listed in View installed updates, chances are they're NOT installed (no matter what Update History or SumanthB says)!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-02T16:08:11+00:00

    Thank you Job,

    This fix solved my problem and after rebooting my system (Vista 32 bit) the 11 updates were installed  successfully.  I then disabled System Mechanic's registry tool and my system is working fine.

    Are you saying that you left SM in place but just disabled one aspect (the registry tool) of it? If so, is this difficult to do? I feel that SM does help keep my Vista system (same as yours) in better shape - at least it always suggests it has found problems!!

    • thoughts and thanks. LBTand LMT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments