"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Anonymous
2012-03-22T06:15:53+00:00

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-22T18:46:26+00:00

Hi,

Is the thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up then you need to backup the data from the thumb drive on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format.

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

b.      Right click on the thumb drive and click Format.

c.       Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T10:50:23+00:00

    I seriously can't believe no one's given a decent solution to this issue yet.

    I also have the same issue:  Yes, I get it, FAT drives can't store these extra properties, message received.

    But how do I disable these annoying messages when copying a batch of files from my laptop onto an external hard disc ?

    Piping a reply to your copy command should take care of this:

    echo Y|copy source destination

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-11T12:21:59+00:00

    But how do I disable these annoying messages when copying a batch of files from my laptop onto an external hard disc ?

    As a workaround I ended up installing TeraCopy for when copying files from my local Dropbox to my NAS. TeraCopy takes over the standard Windows copy process (and does not present this warning) - but has the additional (optional) feature of only being active "when Scroll Lock is OFF".

    More info:

    http://superuser.com/q/657904/43815

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-11T13:02:44+00:00

    Good idea, Robocopy should also be able to do it with the /COPY:DT switch (rather than the default /COPT:DAT switch).

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-01T17:18:38+00:00

    I am having this same problem when copying internet shortcuts to a WD MyCloud Drive. It claims to be NTFS but obviously is not 100% compatible with Microsoft's NTFS. It is not a big problem copying files with Windows Explorer; at the end of the copy it presents a dialog telling me that it can't copy all of the properties on x # of files, do I want to copy the file(s) without all of it's attributes. I check the box for do the same to the rest, and it copy's the shortcuts without the useless dual data stream. They work fine from the NAS drive without the "Dual Data Stream", so why is it even there? Is there a way to make Windows not create this extra info (Geographical info I think) on internet shortcuts?

    I like to use RoboCopy, and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. But RoboCopy fails on these shortcuts (I want to use the DAT switch). It can copy infinitly long filenames without a problem, but I haven't found a way to make it copy these files to my NAS drive. If I copy the files manually with windows explorer, lose the dual data stream, then delete the originals, then do a sync with RoboCopy, it copies back the "Single Data Stream" file, then everything is good. I can sync it multiple times, Logfile shows no errors.

    Then I double Click on the shortcut on the "True" NTFS drive, and it gets modified in doing so. If I use Robo to sync it errors, can't copy the modified file to the NAS with it's fresh new useless "Dual Data Stream". If I could make windows stop creating this useless info then everything would be great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments