"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Anonymous
2012-03-22T06:15:53+00:00

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-22T18:46:26+00:00

Hi,

Is the thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up then you need to backup the data from the thumb drive on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format.

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

b.      Right click on the thumb drive and click Format.

c.       Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-26T17:10:54+00:00

    This was an excellent fix after months of trying.  Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-26T21:32:41+00:00

    I don't want or need to format my drives NTFS.  I do not care if I don't copy the ADS.

    I would like the message to not appear.

    I would like to not have to click "continue without scanning" each time I insert the drive.

    "Windows" OS is supposed to be aimed at productivity.  Here all these unnecessary clicks are not productive.

    As well each time you upgrade, WinXP, Win07, Win10... More clicks are required than the previous OS for many tasks.  Not just this redundancy. 

    Most of the drives I have are encrypted and will not support NTFS anyway.  At least the ones that I have to use. 

    Maybe you didn't understand the question.  How do you suppress the errors?  The ADS are obviously not necessary as the drives all work swimmingly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-26T23:40:46+00:00

    I had the same issue, thank you, this is the best answer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-01T20:39:11+00:00

    Thank you for this answer.

    The accepted answer is unprofessional at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments