"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Anonymous
2012-03-22T06:15:53+00:00

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-22T18:46:26+00:00

Hi,

Is the thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up then you need to backup the data from the thumb drive on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format.

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

b.      Right click on the thumb drive and click Format.

c.       Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T12:08:01+00:00

    This message only appears when copying to a USB drive greater a certain size. I tried copying files to my 2 GB USB drive, FAT32, and this message does not pop up. Then on my 16 GB USB drive, FAT32, I copied the same files and I got that dialog.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T00:49:21+00:00

    I do not have such a box. I move the Excel file from a mapped laptop drive to a local laptop drive without issue. Then I move it to the NAS shared drive folder and I get the message and no checkbox. This is Windows 7 and it is an Iomega StorCenter NAS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-17T23:27:05+00:00

    um, all I did was to check the box that says "Do this for all current items" and clicked on the 'Yes' button.

    Am I missing some sort of huge complexity here?

    BC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-08T12:31:19+00:00

    Have anyone found a solution for disabling this annoyance?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments