I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-01T06:42:41+00:00

When I boot my Windows 8 laptop (see details below), it displays this message:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000225

[ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Start-up Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

If I press Enter or F8, the central part of the message changes to:

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000225

My specific situation:

I have an ASUS UX32VD (R4002H) bought just days ago with Windows 8 preinstalled. I was going to swap the internal HDD for an SSD and was messing with the partitions to make them fit into the smaller SSD before cloning. I am not sure exactly what operation I did prior to the crash, but I probably tried to move a partition (which probably was unnecessary anyway).

I have not made recovery disks (yeah, I know).

When I started SystemRescueCD on the laptop and ran testdisk (for the first time in my life), the partitions seemed OK (to my eye), except for something called Backup Boot(sector|loader|?) that was marked as Bad on one of the partitions. I fixed that, to no avail.

I have no physical representation of a serial number (is that a thing of the past?) and I don't know anything about it being somewhere on the disk. I have no installation media, I didn't get anything like that with the computer.

I have contacted ASUS support, but the answer wasn't very technical.

My obvious question:

How can I get out of this mess? I would prefer if I could repair the partition table or whatever is wrong and get back into the installed OS, but if that is not possible, how can I reinstall Windows 8?

If I need to run a system repair distro from a USB stick and run command line programs, that's no problem.

Thanks!

Original title : I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8: how can I fix it?  

Update:

I have resolved this issue. What I did was a combination of the advice on this page:

http://qliktips.blogspot.se/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

and setting the correct attributes and properties on the various partitions and volumes using FDISK. I had a strange partition that I removed and one or more volumes was of the wrong type (GUID).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-07T05:44:31+00:00

Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

    Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

            CMD> bootrec /scanos

            CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

            CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

            CMD> bootrec /fixboot

     Reboot.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-07T12:39:50+00:00

    i am having the same issue. i tried to use symatec ghost 11.5 to clone the stock 500 gb hard drive to a new seagate 750gb hybrid drive and getting the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-17T19:14:32+00:00

    None of the above resolutions worked for me, I also tried Testdisk and Ubuntu to no avail.  I managed to restore some of my partitions through a windows partition manager, but now I have:

    C: Windows Recovery

    D: Samsung_Recovery2

    E: Samsung_Recovery

    G: System (NTFS)

    H: EFI (FAT32)

    I assumed that G was initially the C drive and H was D - but the logical layout I know Windows RE was the first partition, so now I'm confused??? I used a previous install of Win 8 to attempt a repair, restore, but nothing works - I get all the same errors as the first person did. On the rebuildbcd command line, I still get the requested system device cannot be found.

    I have to keep assigning the volume letters to the last 2 volumes and I'm on a GPT system too.  Samsung's recovery system does not activate - I only get a black screen. If I press enter now on the blue error screen, it also just goes to a black screen.

    Searching for solutions, but I'm going around and around in circles here.... it appears the Win 8 Pro does not seem to be the solution, my Win 8 is locked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-19T21:00:41+00:00

    Hello,

    I am having the same problem : I just bought a new laptop (SAMSUNG Series  5 550P5C) which had 1 TB of HardDisk. In the package: NO INSTALLATION CD/DVD/ NO product key..NOTHING...No serial code...It was weird as I didn't know why Windows doesn't send the installation CD with the new PC...:((

    I tried to partition the HardDisk intro 3 parts : 300 GB, 300 GB and 200 GB for the local C:

    The problem was when the diskmanagement.msc didn't want to shrink my local C less than 500 GB....

    It was very weird: how come Windows 8 DOESN"T allow me to shrink C: less than 500 GB? It was absurd to use 500 GB  ONLY for the Operating system...as if something goes wrong...you loose 500 GB of data...

    Soo I tried using the partition tool: EaseUSE partition..which actually allowed me to shrink my local C: down to 200 GB....and asked for restart afterwards....

    After the restart I got this message:

    error code 0xc0000225 \windows\system32\winload.efi

    Soo...Windows 8 didn't want me to have a local C drive less than 500 GB :(

    How can I fix this??

    I don't have a recovery CD....nor DVD... nor any key (the PC came already installed)

    HELP PLS>>>>!!!

    :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-01T18:14:30+00:00

    Hello,

    I am in the same pickle as you are but with an Acer. However I beleive since th problem is the same, the solutoin you used to fix your problem would work as well for me. As a fellow windows user, I was wondering if you could be so kind as to email me with the steps you took to specifically fix your problem. I tried to do a full reset on my windows 8 laptop but got the same error code. Also i currently have a SSD instead of the HDD which was originally on my laptop. My email is ******@dukes.jmu.edu

    THanks!

    Jay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments