I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-01T06:42:41+00:00

When I boot my Windows 8 laptop (see details below), it displays this message:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000225

[ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Start-up Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

If I press Enter or F8, the central part of the message changes to:

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000225

My specific situation:

I have an ASUS UX32VD (R4002H) bought just days ago with Windows 8 preinstalled. I was going to swap the internal HDD for an SSD and was messing with the partitions to make them fit into the smaller SSD before cloning. I am not sure exactly what operation I did prior to the crash, but I probably tried to move a partition (which probably was unnecessary anyway).

I have not made recovery disks (yeah, I know).

When I started SystemRescueCD on the laptop and ran testdisk (for the first time in my life), the partitions seemed OK (to my eye), except for something called Backup Boot(sector|loader|?) that was marked as Bad on one of the partitions. I fixed that, to no avail.

I have no physical representation of a serial number (is that a thing of the past?) and I don't know anything about it being somewhere on the disk. I have no installation media, I didn't get anything like that with the computer.

I have contacted ASUS support, but the answer wasn't very technical.

My obvious question:

How can I get out of this mess? I would prefer if I could repair the partition table or whatever is wrong and get back into the installed OS, but if that is not possible, how can I reinstall Windows 8?

If I need to run a system repair distro from a USB stick and run command line programs, that's no problem.

Thanks!

Original title : I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8: how can I fix it?  

Update:

I have resolved this issue. What I did was a combination of the advice on this page:

http://qliktips.blogspot.se/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

and setting the correct attributes and properties on the various partitions and volumes using FDISK. I had a strange partition that I removed and one or more volumes was of the wrong type (GUID).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-07T05:44:31+00:00

Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

    Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

            CMD> bootrec /scanos

            CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

            CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

            CMD> bootrec /fixboot

     Reboot.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-08T10:16:00+00:00

    Hi snowlord,

     

    Thank you for posting your query in the Microsoft Community Forums. If I understand you correctly, you are unable to boot into the Windows 8 computer. The error message you receive is “Your PC needs to be repaired” and the error code is “0xc0000225”. I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix your issue and guide you in the right direction.

    Let us start with a few questions-

    1)       How exactly did you install Windows 8 on the computer?

    2)       Was it a clean install or an upgrade?

    3)       Did you purchase Windows 8 through your email?

    4)       Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer prior to the issue?

     

    I would like more information regarding the issue.

    Let us now perform some troubleshooting steps. All the steps are to be performed systematically and in an order.

     

    Method 1-

    Let us start by disconnecting all peripheral devices from the computer except the keyboard and the mouse.

    Perform a hard reboot and try to boot normally into the computer.

     

    Method 2-

    I would have you download the ISO file for Windows 8 from the Microsoft Store using the same credentials (used earlier to install the Windows 8 in the first place).

    Refer the link-

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

    Now, you may create a bootable USB or a DVD. Refer the link-

    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

    You need to boot from the disk or the USB device (after changing the BIOS settings) and perform a startup repair.

    Refer the steps-

    a)       Boot from the USB or the DVD.

    b)       Choose the language and click “Next”.

    c)       Now, select “Repair” and choose the appropriate option to repair the computer.

    d)       If a repair does not fix the issue, then select “Advanced options”.

    e)       Choose “system restore” and load the computer back to an earlier date.

    f)        Similarly, try the other recovery options if a System Restore does not help.

    g)       If the advanced options do not help, then I would have you try a “Refresh” first and then a “Reset”.

     

    Note: Make sure you back up the data on the computer before proceeding further.

    Refreshing the Operating System will reinstall all the apps downloaded from the Windows Store. But, the apps installed from other sites will be removed permanently. Proceed at your risk.

    Resetting the Operating System will wipe out everything on the computer. Proceed at your own risk.

    Do get back to us and let us know the status of the issue by your next post or in case you need further assistance. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

     

    Hope this helps!!

     

    Nirmal - I'm having a similar issue, specifically with the Windows 8 Pro 64bit DVD.  I previously had Windows XP Home Ed., but my computer is definitely 64bit capable.  Is there a way to start up the install from the DVD with a more verbose setting, to see exactly where the “0xc0000225" happens?

    I've tried method 1 as you suggested, but no luck.

    I'll next see if a BIOS update is available.

    NOTE:  On other threads about this error code, with Windows 7 and 8, I saw references to ACPI - I've already enabled ACPI in BIOS, and also tried install with it disabled, with no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-08T10:17:50+00:00

    Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

        Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

                CMD> bootrec /scanos

                CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

                CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

                CMD> bootrec /fixboot

         Reboot.

    Where is this "Windows 8 Recovery Media"?  I purchased SKU 3UR-00001, and neither DVD has a "recovery" option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-20T02:50:23+00:00

    I couldn't fix the problem. But I did find the bcd in x:\windows\boot\dvd\efi\ folder of MY computer. I deleted it just like the tutorial says in order to make a new one. Well, when I wrote the import command it gave me the same error as always, system device not found. I am starting to think I accidentaly deleted it in my quest of doing an hdd backup to a ssd which is smaller sized. I am going to use minitool partition wizard and see if I can recover anything I might have deleted. Oh, and I am booting the repair disc from the actual optical drive, not an usb port 3.0 or 2.0  I wish I could just format the drive and re-install windows 8, but obviously it wont let me because the key inside the bios is different from the one required by the DVD a friend lent me, hence the reason why they dont even bother putting a sticker of the OS license in the bottom of the laptop no more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-01T21:36:16+00:00

    I have a similar problem.  I have got a laptop - Samsung 350V series, and also did a partition.  I did however do a 'copy' of windows on an external hard drive via USB 2 through the windows 8 backup system which basically seemed to do a full copy backup copying the restore partitions etc on the hard drive. And arrived with the exact same error and problem.

    I attempted hard reboots, and pulled out any peripherals.  I could only access the UEFI Firmware section where I attempted to change the boot priority to point to only the USB and have tried the USB 2 and 3 ports, left it for 20 - 40 minutes on each port.  I now only get a blank screen on reboot.

    I cannot read this external hard drive off another PC as I was hoping to make an ISO usb as you have suggested.  There was also no Windows media CD with this PC, Windows 8 came pre installed on the machine, and one had to just fill in your details as your normal registration process.  There was no buying of Windows 8 or downloading of the product as this was part and parcel of the system that it came with when bought.

    Is there anyway I can use my external USB as I was of the understanding that I could use this as a backup tool when something went wrong?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments