I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-01T06:42:41+00:00

When I boot my Windows 8 laptop (see details below), it displays this message:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000225

[ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Start-up Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

If I press Enter or F8, the central part of the message changes to:

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000225

My specific situation:

I have an ASUS UX32VD (R4002H) bought just days ago with Windows 8 preinstalled. I was going to swap the internal HDD for an SSD and was messing with the partitions to make them fit into the smaller SSD before cloning. I am not sure exactly what operation I did prior to the crash, but I probably tried to move a partition (which probably was unnecessary anyway).

I have not made recovery disks (yeah, I know).

When I started SystemRescueCD on the laptop and ran testdisk (for the first time in my life), the partitions seemed OK (to my eye), except for something called Backup Boot(sector|loader|?) that was marked as Bad on one of the partitions. I fixed that, to no avail.

I have no physical representation of a serial number (is that a thing of the past?) and I don't know anything about it being somewhere on the disk. I have no installation media, I didn't get anything like that with the computer.

I have contacted ASUS support, but the answer wasn't very technical.

My obvious question:

How can I get out of this mess? I would prefer if I could repair the partition table or whatever is wrong and get back into the installed OS, but if that is not possible, how can I reinstall Windows 8?

If I need to run a system repair distro from a USB stick and run command line programs, that's no problem.

Thanks!

Original title : I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8: how can I fix it?  

Update:

I have resolved this issue. What I did was a combination of the advice on this page:

http://qliktips.blogspot.se/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

and setting the correct attributes and properties on the various partitions and volumes using FDISK. I had a strange partition that I removed and one or more volumes was of the wrong type (GUID).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-07T05:44:31+00:00

Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

    Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

            CMD> bootrec /scanos

            CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

            CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

            CMD> bootrec /fixboot

     Reboot.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-09T23:51:50+00:00

    Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

        Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

                CMD> bootrec /scanos

                CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

                CMD> bootrec /fixmbr

                CMD> bootrec /fixboot

         Reboot.

    I did not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T15:05:00+00:00

    Worked just as well on Windows 10 after upgrading to SSD!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-03T15:28:56+00:00

    Hello,

    I had the exact same problem 0xc0000225, since I moved my OS from HDD to SSD

    I tried the diskpart solutions I found on the net, reinstalling... Nothing worked

    For that specific problem, this solution worked :

    When you can choose your volumes/partitions where you will install, check all the EFI partitinos that could be remaining from a previous Windows installation. If you find one, delete it brutally ;)

    The 0xc0000225 will disapear after deleting this old partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T01:12:48+00:00

    This worked for me after the Windows 10 upgrade: First reset your bios to defaults and then connect a Ps2 legacy keyboard if your system is capable restart and you should see the language setting screen select English international and then fix your computer with the fix option going from minor first to image restore or reinstall if you must. Best luck and remember to backup always.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments