How do I turn off pen feedback in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-28T00:45:49+00:00

I'm using a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and I need to turn off pen feedback like I did in Windows 7. Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-14T22:29:37+00:00

I got this on the Wacom forum, I think...

It's still not a final solution, but it works! You will get rid of the ripple effect and the drag and drop lag!

I still have the CTRL, ALT and WIN tips that appear when I press those buttons while on "pen" mode.

Use this trick until a more sophisticated solution comes from Microsoft and Wacom.

  1. Using the latest Wacom Driver

Note Edit your registry at your own risk and backup before proceeding!!

  1. Applied registry fix that worked for Windows 7. 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftT"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicroso"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

  1. Used GPEdit.msc Disable Dynamic Pen Options

User ConfigurationsAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsTabletPC

Cursors- Turn off pen feedback set to "Enable"

Hardware buttons - Prevent Press and Hold set to "Enable"

  1. In Control Panel, Pen and Touch, Press and Hold Right Click is checked and enabled.
  2. In the Wacom Table Properties, under options, Set side switch mode set to hover click.
  3. Used current registry hack 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelCursors] ContactVisualisation from 1 to 0, and the key GestureVisualisation 

from 1F (31) to 0 

Rebooted my PC and all is working as it should! I'm able to select text, drag and drop, and click combo boxes on web pages with no delay issues and this is even using the Intuos5 wireless module. The only thing which isn't a big deal to me at this point is when I press the side switch on the pen to right click, A feedback circle appears.

You must enable press and hold right click in the control panel pen and touch to prevent click and drag delays, like selecting text and dragging boxes. If you disable this option then you'll get drag, scroll issues and the combo drop boxes on web pages won't work. To help avoid the right click menu from popping up set the Duration to the Long setting possible and the Speed to short. This will give your pen about 2 second delay before the right click menu will come up. Hopefully a fix for the press and hold right click will found soon!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T18:10:49+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community!

Good to hear that you are using Windows 8.

Check if it works:

a. Hold Windows key + X and select Control Panel, tapping Mobile PC, and then tapping Pen and Input Devices.

b.Tap the Pointer Options tab.

c.Under Dynamic feedback, select the visual feedback that you want to turn on or off, and then tap OK.

Please let us know the results of the provided steps; also feel free to post us if you face Windows issue in future.

We would be happy to help!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T03:57:48+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community!

    Good to hear that you are using Windows 8.

    Check if it works:

    a. Hold Windows key + X and select Control Panel, tapping Mobile PC, and then tapping Pen and Input Devices.

    b.Tap the Pointer Options tab.

    c.Under Dynamic feedback, select the visual feedback that you want to turn on or off, and then tap OK.

    Please let us know the results of the provided steps; also feel free to post us if you face Windows issue in future.

    We would be happy to help!

    This should not be marked "Answer," I think.

    There is no "Mobile PC" or "Pen and Input Devices" in my Win8 Pro Control Panel. I am using a desktop system, a monitor with no touch or pen input, and a Wacom Intuous3 with the current driver set (6.34-3).

    Would REALLY love to turn off the ripple effect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-06T05:10:56+00:00

    This should not be marked "Answer," I think.

    There is no "Mobile PC" or "Pen and Input Devices" in my Win8 Pro Control Panel.

    I am using a desktop system, a monitor with no touch or pen input, and a Wacom Intuous3 with the current driver set (6.34-3).

    Which is hardly the same as the OP's Intuous 4 Wacom based Tablet.   ; }

    In my case I have a Notebook which apparently doesn't qualify as a Tablet PC but I do have a Mobility Center dialog accessible from all locations but as I mentioned in my post that is not where I would have to go to uncheck the feature in question.   Mine is at the bottom of Touch tab in Pen and Touch dialog which is also accessible in a variety of ways.   The option does not appear to be indexed for Settings.  Most direct method of access for me would be to press Win-W and type Pen then press Enter and then Ctrl-Backtab  (and then press Alt-h to uncheck the option as desired).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-06T05:36:45+00:00

    Why people like you who don't have a clue about the problem get involved in this debate? This is a problem with high end  windows 8 graphic desktop workstations that appears with intuos tablets. The worse affected is intuos 5 but 3 and 4 have problems too. We are expecting a solution from microsoft soon. This option doesn't appear in four workstations and two laptops we have at the office.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments